sick show girl

michellemire

Songster
5 Years
Feb 5, 2014
I just bought a show girl she's in her own cage in our shed I just went check on her n notice she has a leak noise n is make noise when she breathe.is there anything I can give her the feed store is close I don't want her to died she was hard to find I have a heat light on her now

if u look at her\His beak u can see the leakage it was a lil bubble

She sounds like she could have a respiratory disease. You definitely don't want that in your flock, no matter how hard she was to find. Respiratory disease are contagious, chronic, and can make carriers of any birds they come into contact with for life. Any new birds should be quarantined from other birds far away for at least 30 days in case you buy birds that are sick or are carriers. Tylan 50, erythromycin, and oxytetracycline are drugs that may help symptoms in birds with respiratory diseases. Here is a list of the common diseases including infectious bronchitis, MG, ILT, and coryza: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

She sounds like she could have a respiratory disease. You definitely don't want that in your flock, no matter how hard she was to find. Respiratory disease are contagious, chronic, and can make carriers of any birds they come into contact with for life. Any new birds should be quarantined from other birds far away for at least 30 days in case you buy birds that are sick or are carriers.

x2

If she has an infectious disease, even if you treat her with antibiotics and her symptoms clear up she will be a carrier for life, and you can guarantee that at some stage she will transmit it to the rest of your flock.

If you have kept her away from the other birds until now then you still have a choice - you can either return her to where you got her from, and avoid infecting your flock, or you can choose to treat her, hope she gets better, and then integrate her after quarantine, but you will be risking the future health of your other birds who may develop the disease later.

*If* you plan on keeping her, have her tested and find out exactly what she has before putting her with others. Not all respiratory infections make them carriers for life, some can be treated, so talk to a vet.

-Kathy

Edited to add:
If you can't get her tested, probably best to return her or cull her.

Last edited:
K that's she's in quarantine since I got her I'll get her to a vet as soon as I can find 1 that looks at chickens n see wat they say about her

K that's she's in quarantine since I got her I'll get her to a vet as soon as I can find 1 that looks at chickens n see wat they say about her

Careful when handling her, many diseases can live on your skin, clothes, shoes, etc. Google bio security and poultry.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom