1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick showgirl

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by comitdust, Oct 15, 2016.

1. comitdust

comitdust Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2015
    Georgia
    I bought a showgirl from someone who said they were npip. The bird arrived sick, I could hear her sneezing before I even opened the box. She has no leg band she is supposed to be around 4 months old. Isn't she suppose to have a leg band on?

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Not all states leg band for NPIP. NPIP in most states only test for pollurum,typhoid and AI. unfortunately birds are suceptible to a whole host of diseases and illnesses the can cause respiratory issues. MG, MS, IB, ILT, and the list goes on. Most places do not test for these diseases and if they do it is extremely expensive and people don't want to pay for it.

I am very sorry to hear she arrived that way.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  3. comitdust

comitdust Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2015
    Georgia
    Thank you for your response, she is on tylan now and is showing some improvements. Hopefully she pulls through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by