Sick silkie chick :( seems almost dead

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by weliveintheforest, Sep 11, 2009.

1. weliveintheforest

weliveintheforest Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    I noticed yesterday that one of our 3 week old chicks was acting funny. We put them with the mama hen out in the run for the first time and they all seemed to enjoy it, but this one kept sitting down and falling asleep. Other than that she looked fine. I'm pretty sure I saw her eating . We just switched them from medicated chick feed to grower crumbles, because we ran out of the chick feed and also because we live on an organic farm. I moistened it the first day but yesterday I gave it to them dry like the older chicks.
    There are no signs of trauma, but now it is just laying there, not moving at all or opening it's eyes. No sign of pasty butt. I gave it some water but I don't think it swallowed. It opens and closes it's beak every now 2-3 seconds and seems to be struggling to breathe [​IMG]

ANything I can do?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    I'm sorry maybe try some Poly-vi-So it's vitamins for the water. A little yogurt if you have it.

3. weliveintheforest

weliveintheforest Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    Thanks, she seemed to perk up with some sugar/salt water, even reviving enough to peep, but she died.

I just hope it wasn't anything communicable, the other chicks seem totally normal.

4. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I am so sorry about your chickie! [​IMG]

5. muell112

muell112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    Sorry about your chick. If you want to find out what happened and if it's anything that can be prevented in the future, you can always have your local extension agent or vet do a necropsy to determine cause of death. Sorry again.

6. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    I'm sorry to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by