Sick Silkie chick....?!?!?!

Lmarie

Songster
11 Years
Jan 3, 2009
Way Over Yonder, GA
These are my first silkies, so I don't know what to expect, are they usually lazy when they are itty bitty? I have a black one and a white one, and the white one has been laying in one spot not moving. I picked her up to get a better look and she still didn't move. Finally she opened her eyes but then closed them. I know this is not normal chick behavior for other ones I have raised, but wasn't sure about Silkies.
I wouldn't even know where to start on what could be wrong. Has anyone else had a chick do this? Is it a bad sign? I'm really worried because I'm excited about my first Silkies...
sad.png

All the other chicks are running around, but she is still in the same spot...
Thanks for any input.
Lauren

That doesn't sound normal, especially since the other chick seems to be acting much differently, running around etc.

Is it eating/drinking/pooping? Is vent clean or possibly blocked? Warm enough, etc., etc, (all the stuff you normally do for your other breeds of chicks).

How old is it, how long have you had it, and how long has it been laying around like that?

I just noticed her acting like that today. I dipped her beak in water to see if she knew where it was, and she drank ALOT. But she seems to be pooping normal, I haven't seen her eating much.
I'm worried about her. They all seem happy and warm. Just she isn't doing, well, anything.
hu.gif

Wow, it's really just so hard to say... I would make sure to get water into her as frequently as possible, maybe a few drops of diluted pedialyte to give her a bit of a boost... Ummmm, find out if she's eating; if she's pooping a lot then I would assume output = input! But still, I would make sure to watch and SEE her eat. Extra heat is usually a really good idea for any ill or injured bird, is she under the heatlamp? I'd keep her extra warm. Does she have any other symptoms that you can see? Is her breathing the same as all of the others? Is she getting up at all??

Soooo, not laying down "flat out" anymore? Does she walk around every now & then?

It's so hard to really tell whats going on without being able to see/watch...!!! I mean, was she just really "conked out" for a short while and is now okay (I have seen my chicks sleep SO HARD they seriously look DEAD!!), OR is there something wrong... listless & ill??

What does it seem like to you? Did you see if she will eat/drink? Is she keeping her eyes open, or look alert/interested in noises/activity, etc.? Would DEFINITELY make sure she is extra toasty warm, and continue to monitor!!

About the same. still sitting in one place. I picked her up and looked at her, and it looked like a few small bubble were coming out of her nose. I don't know if this is a symptom or her drinking too much maybe.
I am worried sick about her....
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom