SICK SILKIE HEN PLEASE HELP

Banaynaychicken

Songster
Aug 21, 2015
Vail, AZ
HELP!!

Yukon is swollen in her abdomen and I don't know why!!

I have checked her vent for egg binding, no egg, though she is showing all of the symptoms!! what else could this be?

I can't loose another bird, not after Dory, and if I can't find out what this is and how to stop it, I have a feeling thing may not go well for my poor silkie.

She is acting normal, eating drinking, and doesn't really have a penguin strut, but she is swollen in the abdomen and hasn't laid an egg since august!

Im worried that it could be a seious egg bound that I just couldn't detect, or it's something worse.

Pleas e if anyone has any info, let me know as soon as possible so I can help my Yukon out.

(She's so cute, after I inspected her thouroghly, stuck my finger up her bum and felt around for about 10 minutes, and felt her abdomen, she's cuddling contently inside of my jacket pocket right now whilst I type. Pocket Burb!)

HELP!!!

SHE ISNT DOING WELL AT ALL!! Hasnt eaten or drank anything aince my first post on the issue, gave her a bath and calcium, nothing! Found her earlier laying in the dirt. No control of her wings, minimal leg control, and weighs next to mothing!

She cant/wont move and just lays with her eyes shut....

I dont know what to do, please i need any help possible.

she is breathing and will still swallow crumbles and water.

I cant loose another, i cant. Not after loosing Dory.

Please help.

I have soaked her in a 15 minute warm bath and filled her crop half way, and put her in a warm place in my room.

should I use a brooder lamp?

it's cold here and DRY and im so lost on how to help or what to do.........

Can you get her to a vet?

No...that's is why i am so lost.

my parents don't see my birds as anything more than a semi - free egg supply, and could care less when they are sick or injured.

They dont see the point in "wasting" money on bringing a chicken to the vet when they're "Just gonna die in 3 years anyway".

i've just been educting myself as much as possible on bird anatomy and common diseases so that I can help in any way I can, but whatevrr she has, (Im yhinking eggbound) is really taking it's toll on her tiny bantam body.

She sounds very sick. Abdominal swelling can be a sign of cancer, internal laying, ascites (fluid in the belly,) and egg yolk peritonitis. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Since she cannot move well, and needs feeding, I would just keep her comfortable and warm. A vet would be my only suggestion, but their is not a lot of hope with any of the above conditions. I would consider euthanizing her if she is suffering. Sorry about your hen.

if egg bound you can give tums (calcium), i have read varying opinions on how much from 1/2 - 2 of them, break it up and let her eat it
if she is pooping it may pass on its own, keep her warm 80*ish
may need to do an exam, lube and massage
but the key is to not stress her

i agree with eggcessive though
hugs.gif
, i am very sorry and hope she makes it for you

She sounds very sick. Abdominal swelling can be a sign of cancer, internal laying, ascites (fluid in the belly,) and egg yolk peritonitis. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Since she cannot move well, and needs feeding, I would just keep her comfortable and warm. A vet would be my only suggestion, but their is not a lot of hope with any of the above conditions. I would consider euthanizing her if she is suffering. Sorry about your hen.

I bought her at OK Corral feed and supply, and I don't know whether they vaccinate their birds.

i should ask....

it seems if they don't i will not be purchasing my chickens from them again.

if egg bound you can give tums (calcium), i have read varying opinions on how much from 1/2 - 2 of them, break it up and let her eat it
if she is pooping it may pass on its own, keep her warm 80*ish
may need to do an exam, lube and massage
but the key is to not stress her

i agree with eggcessive though
hugs.gif
, i am very sorry and hope she makes it for you
I just feel so useless to her.

I've only ever lost one bird and it was the worst thing to go through. she wasn't even 4 months old.

Now im going to loose another sweet bird and it's bbecause im either not educated enough of not fortunate enough to be close enough to a vet or be allowed to visit if i were.

it's like hicken owning just isn't my thing.

In the most respectful way possible, I hope all the people who have said she may not make it, are wrong ,and that by some miracle she will pull through....

i hate to see her suffer but loosing my only silkie is already an idea that has left me puffy eyed for the past 3 hours.

Last edited:
I think the advice given and things you have been doing is the best so far. Good luck and I hope she pulls through, and if not, well you did your best.

Very sorry
hugs.gif

i hope she makes it

do you want to learn how to tube feed?
if you pm the user casportpony she would love to teach you, and may be able to answer more thoroughly

Very sorry
hugs.gif

i hope she makes it

do you want to learn how to tube feed?
if you pm the user casportpony she would love to teach you, and may be able to answer more thoroughly
i've got her pretty well set up on a feeding schedule, and a pretty good tactic for making sure she can eat/drink with my help, without drowning.

Thankou so much though, i appreciate all of your help as I attempt to save my bird.

however i will definitely be PMing casportpony

Quote: I went in to check on her a few minutes ago.....

She has pretty flattened out but sleeping peacefully, and I was going to feed her.....

I held her for a moment because i was starting to realise she probably wasn't going to make it, adn I wanted to hold my bird for as long *** possible before that.

she just started to...convulse, and then she just flopped aand was gone, right in my arms......i can't bleieve I just lost a second bird, i thought i knew chickens but apperently im just a danger to them......

i can't even look myself in the face right now. i already miss her.........

Back
Top Bottom