sick silkie please help. (w/pic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by southernpriss, Dec 15, 2011.

1. southernpriss

southernpriss Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    Hey Yall,
    I just got home from work and my white silkie hen was just sitting like she was sleeping she won't walk around and keeps closing her eyes. I have check for eggbound, she was vaccinated for maerks, she has no mites or lice. I have had her since she was 3 days old and only provided the best nutrition for her she is 9 months old. she was just fine yesterday running around with everyone. now I can't get her to move I have her inside. does anyone know what it might be?
    thanks!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    I can get her to eat some egg/oatmeal mash... but she will not walk. anyone know what I can do?

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    She is quite sick. This is not depression. Please change title to say "sick" as you'll get more folks plugging in who may be able to help.
    JJ

4. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    On another post someone mentioned cocci. I know its a chicken illness but that other persons chicken has similar issues. I think they gave it antibiotics or something. Maybe look that up. Sorry I can not be of more help.

Here is a write up on it sounds like your description - http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1138/coccidiosis-control

Diagnosis
    of Coccidiosis

Despite most broiler flocks are raised with anticoccidial drugs added to their feed, drug resistance - especially to chemical anticoccidials or feed mixing errors - may lead to clinical coccidiosis.

Birds with clinical cases of coccidiosis frequently display a typical 'sick bird' attitude with depression, prostration, huddling under the heat source as if chilled, soiled vents and watery or bloody droppings. One of the first signs of clinical and even subclinical coccidiosis may be paleness.

In birds that have recently died, post mortem examination should start with examination of the intestinal tract and the caeca for the presence of gross lesions. Gross lesions caused by E. acervulina are usually the most prevalent and are usually confined to the upper small intestine (duodenum), although some times they may extend to the mid-gut (jejunum). The lesions have a unique appearance, consisting of white patches or transverse white lines inside the gut that may already be observed from the outside.

Lesions of E. maxima comprise multiple petechial (pin-point size) haemorrhages often seen from the outside of the mid-gut area, in addition, segmental ballooning or enlargement of the mid-gut with presence of orange-tainted mucous may be noted. However, unless the lesions are typical they are harder to identify than those caused by E. acervulina and E. tenella and therefore it is highly desirable to confirm its presence by identifying the presence of coccidial oocysts (eggs) in a scraping from the mid gut under a microscope.

Gross lesions of E. tenella are confined to the caeca and consist of the presence of haemorrhages on the outside or inside of the wall of the caeca, free-blood or a chocolate-coloured fluid content inside the caeca with a thickening of its wall or the presence of a large core of cellular debris and blood. E. tenella can kill birds so dead birds in a flock with increased mortality should always be examined for the presence of lesions compatible with E. tenella infection or caecal coccidiosis.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Silkies are very prone to head injuries, does she shake or do anything wierd?
    Has she laid eggs before? You said you checked for eggbound, but is she currenty laying?
    How about the poops? Look normal?

6. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    Not shaking her head at all and I haven't noticed anything being wrong with her stool but she was just fine yesterday so I wasn't looking and I can't get her to go to the bathroom now. about 2 months ago she went broody and hasn't had an egg since I was just checking to check. I have her inside with mash and electrolytes in her water she will talk to me but she is not very alert.

7. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    I got her to walk around a little bit outside she was walking fine just slow and she had more to say when I picked her up this time than the last couple times she is eating and drinking does anyone know what else I can do? I appreciate any advice.

8. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    Here is what she looks like any ideas?
    (please excuse her wet hair she dips it in her water! silly girl)

[​IMG]

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Would you be able to take a video?

I really am not sure.. It sounds like mites or worms to me, but I can't be sure.

10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I would worm first and add vitamins to her water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by