Sick silkie roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crtrlovr, May 2, 2009.

1. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Silkie splash roo: approx. 1 yr. old

wobbly, no balance, legs splayed out to sides

appetite: was normal when I had to go out of town Wed.; got back today so I don't know for sure

no respiratory symptoms

some weight loss since I got him & the lady silkies in late Feb.

*all have been in perfect health until I lost 1 bantam frizzle roo suddenly last Sat. I wormed everyone using the Eprinex in early Mar., but the frizzle roo I lost wasn't here then. He was thin, but was being bullied away from the feeders before I brought him inside. It may be possible that he had worms and I had forgotten about his not having been wormed. After his death, I did a "poo patrol" and DID find tiny snake-like worms in a fresh dropping, so everyone will be getting wormed very shortly.*

I brought him in, put him on a heated pet bed (which he does not stay on), put ACV in his water, gave him PolyViSol, and plain unflavored yogurt. Since Wed., he has been on Terramycin on the advice of a friend who is an animal rehabber in Illinois. She watched him walk (and wobble) and thought it might be weakness from a respiratory illness setting in. I had to go out of town Wed. and just got back about 1:30 p.m. today (Sat.) and he appears to be no better, and maybe a little bit worse with legs further out to the sides. There are no tremors, no flailing, no head shaking, -- no other symptoms except the widespread legs, difficulty walking, balance off, --- should I try the Tylan 50 injectable and see what happens? I really do NOT want to lose this sweet fellow, what else can I be doing that I'm not doing now? I need help! thank you so much in advance for your time & response.

2. crtrlovr

Seriously??? no one??? [​IMG]

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    If you wormed in March for roundworms, you should worm again. The reproductio cycle is 30 days and treatment needs to be repeated.

I hope you're able to pull this little guy out of his illness. Are you administering electroyles and vitamins?

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Worms can and do damage their intestines which in turn will affect their ability to utilize the nutrition in their feed causing deficiencies... I would get some aviacharge 200 (availble to purchase online from McMurry) as this is a complete balanced supplement (but failing that your feed store may have a general supplement ) ...

5. crtrlovr

using V&E, natural probiotics such as yogurt, ACV, nothing seems to be making much difference. Started him on inj. Tylan 50 last night; he's still with me. At this point I'm grasping at straws and hoping for the best. If he leaves me, I at least want him to go warm and as comfortable as possible, knowing he is loved and cared for.

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    you should only use electrolytes when your bird is dehydrated or in shock and not as a source of vitamin supplement > the yogurt is good (sprinkle some feed on top of it)
    I would give him four drops of POLYVISOL enfamil formulation (liquid childrens A-B-D vitamins) for a week then taper off the next in addition to a general vitamin supplement.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  7. crtrlovr

thank you, dlh ! [​IMG]

8. silkieluver

silkieluver Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2009
    Pleasant Garden, NC
    How is he doing today?

9. crtrlovr

He's still with me, not much better, not much worse. He doesn't stand at all from what I can tell. I've come in and found him a foot or two from where I placed him last, but how he's getting there I'm not sure. His appetite is still good; he's really enjoying the yogurt & scrambled eggs. [​IMG] I started the Tylan 50 Sat. evening; I can't tell yet if it's improving anything or not. I gave him a bath b/c he had gotten so yucky (eliminated and got a buildup of poo in his breeches feathers. He seemed to enjoy it and acted as if he felt better afterward. Still waiting it out... say a prayer for Mr. Magoo please! [​IMG] TIA !

10. silkieluver

silkieluver Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2009
    Pleasant Garden, NC
    I certainly will. I do hope he gets better, I can only image what you are going through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by