Sick silkie rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sahwithchicks, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Sahwithchicks

Sahwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    i browsed through the forums and couldn't find quite the Answer to my problem...

I have a silkie rooster, who I have had for two months now, that is very lathargic and unbalanced. I noticed two days ago he was seemingly tipsy, but he was running around the yard, eating, and drinking, so I just kept an eye on him. Yesterday he seemed the same but no worste, but I decided to clean everything and even moved the coop. Usually I free range my chickens all day, but since I moved the coop (and found almost 20 eggs laid under the shed the coop was next to) I left the chickens in the coop all day with fresh water and food. I noticed today he was just laying there with on the ground. I went to check, thinking he might be dead, but he hoped up and was almost falling over, he was so imbalanced. I went out a few more times to change water and separate him.

No wheezing, coughing or weird poo. All other chickens seem fine. Any ideas how I can help him?

2. cluckfan

cluckfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Bloomfield KY
    I have a Silkie pullet with very similar symptoms. She falls over easy and seems depressed. She eats and drinks. At first I thought thst she was constipated. She has pooped but not a lot. Nothing else and I don't know what to do. I did give her some olive oil just in case and she actually semed more active the next day. Now she is back to looking sick. Hope you find out about your Roo. let me know. Thanks

3. bluedawg

bluedawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    Sounds similar to what I just posted for my Roo. I shot a video of him. See :https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/708123/help-diagnosing-my-roo

When he had it a year ago he was really falling over. He is not that bad this time yet. On the Roost at night he sits with his head hanging down if he can even get in - Sometimes I have to pick him up from the yard and carry him in. Very sad. I hope he snaps out of it again. Seams like many people are experiencing the same thing with their chickens so it aught to be something known.

4. Sahwithchicks

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    I saw your post, it sounds very familiar except for it being reoccurring, but I haven't had him too long! I put some electrolytes in his water, hoping that will help. It's weird cuz he seems fine for a bit, then He seems like he is going to die. I am sorry you guys are having the same type of problems... Hopefully we can find some answers.

5. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Have you read up on Mareks? Hope that's not it. I would get a neocropsy done if he passes so you know for sure.

6. cluckfan

cluckfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Bloomfield KY
    Me too! I got some Nutri drench for my pullet. She had enough strenght to fight getting it. Instead of putting it in water I am giving her 1/4 of an ml. She is still eating and drinking but also still has the balance problem. Starting to wonder if I should start thinking of putting her down....

7. Sahwithchicks

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    We culled our rooster two days ago. He wasn't getting better. The final straw was that my americuana is now exhibiting the exact same symptoms. I have spent HOURS research diseases and am really struggling to figure out what is going on. My americuana is falling on her side, sitting and walking on her hocks, and very uncoordinated. However, she is eating and drinking... And is not having paralysis, or blindness. I just can't figure out what's going on.
    The closest virus I have researched that fits the bill is avian encephalomitis, but most websites state that this only affects young birds.

I'm so confused and worried this is going to spread to my entire flock

8. Sahwithchicks

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    This morning I sent an email to the npip coordinator in the area that arranged for my testing, asking her if there was any way to get someone to test my birds for additional diseases or to diagnose my americuana. I am hoping she will respond soon!
    I am terrified it is something that will take my whole flock!

9. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    A neocropsy will let you know exactly what your dealing with. Sorry your dealing with this. :(

10. Sahwithchicks

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    Where do you find information about necropsy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by