Sick Silkie Roster...4 1/2 years old

gesinamclean143

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2018
I have a silkie rooster that I raised from an egg. He was beat up pretty badly about a week ago. He seemed to recover from wounds, but now seems to be fading. Not eating much at all. Drinking plenty of water, but just lethargic and quiet. Help...how long can he go without food...?

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your silkie. He may have some internal injury that is causing his lack of appetite and going downhill. You can try tempting him with scrambled and chopped egg, tuna, beef liver, or a little cooked meat. Wet chicken feed made thin is another good thing to feed (and better than too many treats.)

If that fails, tube or crop feeding is pretty easy to learn. Google “Go team tube feeding” and article by BYC’s @casportpony or crop feeding birds for links and videos on learning. Amazon sells feed tubes and you can also make them with plastic tubing. This would keep him going to give him more time for recovery. But he may not be able to tolerate feeding if he has an internal injury.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your silkie. He may have some internal injury that is causing his lack of appetite and going downhill. You can try tempting him with scrambled and chopped egg, tuna, beef liver, or a little cooked meat. Wet chicken feed made thin is another good thing to feed (and better than too many treats.)

If that fails, tube or crop feeding is pretty easy to learn. Google “Go team tube feeding” and article by BYC’s @casportpony or crop feeding birds for links and videos on learning. Amazon sells feed tubes and you can also make them with plastic tubing. This would keep him going to give him more time for recovery. But he may not be able to tolerate feeding if he has an internal injury.
Hi, I forgot to mention that the attack caused him some eye damage. I know he can see out of one eye, one is completely blind, so I'm not certain how good his eyesight is. Can that affect his eating...maybe not being able to see food as well...?? PS: I have no idea how this forum works...I'm not sure how to find any responses to my posts...???

Yes, that may make it hard to judge where to peck or get water. Can he stand and walk around normally? Being in a limited area close to food and water may be easier at first.

Most of the time you will get an email notification of any posts on your threads. You may also click on your screen name, and click on “topics started” or go up to Forums at the top, clcik on Emergencies, and look for you thread in order of the last post. When you go up to Home, it will list the most current ongoing threads as well.

Yes, that may make it hard to judge where to peck or get water. Can he stand and walk around normally? Being in a limited area close to food and water may be easier at first.

Most of the time you will get an email notification of any posts on your threads. You may also click on your screen name, and click on “topics started” or go up to Forums at the top, clcik on Emergencies, and look for you thread in order of the last post. When you go up to Home, it will list the most current ongoing threads as well.
My silkie rooster "Pooper" is doing much better. He is officially an "indoor" rooster. He only goes outside now when I'm with him. He's loving life...sleeping on the back of the couch...and hanging put with his dog friends in the house...:) Thank you...

Back
Top Bottom