sick silkie, what is it?

cream puff

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2014
My silkie was with her two chicks and everything was fine until this morning when I went to feed them and the mum's eye was all swollen and looks like conjunctivitis. I took away the chicks and put them in the brooder. There is no diarrhea. I've cleaned her eye and put bacitracin on it. Is this something crazy serious? She has no other symptoms but the eye. Here's pictures of both her eyes:

bad eye

good eye.

is this a typical thing with bearded silkies? It seems like she got an infection from her feathers getting in her eye.

looks like conjunctivitis / pinkeye. you will need antibiotic eye cream for her and you will need to trim off the feathers from around her face. I don't know if its typical of bearded silkies since I only have non beaded ones but I haven't seen this type of infection in my birds before. Also its likely to be very contagious and if it is conjunctivitis/ pinkeye then it can leave them blind without treatment.

Did you notice anything else off about her eye? Like maybe an injury or something in it? One of the chicks may have pecked her, I see my broodies letting their chicks peck their faces all the time.
Anyway, I have bearded Silkies and have never seen anything like that before. I've even moved their crests and muffs/beard back from their eyes and have seen feathers in their eyes with no ill effects. I hope she gets better soon! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom