sick silkie ~WITH PIC!~

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by miss heny, Jul 1, 2011.

1. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

okay, i have a silkie that cant lift her head, it looks like she is preening all the time, and every since i got her, she had has rasp watery breathing

please help, she is very dear to me!

[​IMG]

yes, her neck is like that [​IMG] and i dont know what to do

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  2. miss heny

bump!

3. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Oh my, poor baby!! [​IMG] Sorry I can't help you.
    BUMP

4. miss heny

Quote:i know [​IMG] she is my pet, and is spoiled, but i dont know what to do [​IMG]

5. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    Your silkie has wry neck. There is a ton of info on the forum about treatment, causes, etc. Just do a search on wry neck.

6. miss heny

Quote:oh.... [​IMG]

7. miss heny

Quote:oh.... [​IMG]

did, could not find a thing on how to cure it [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  9. miss heny

10. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    Ok - I copied this from another post - it's the standard treatment for wry neck. If you can't get the prednisone, (check with your vet), assist feed your girl and give her the other vitamins. They will often respond fairly quickly and recover completely IF there is not too much damage. Some, unfortunately, do not recover. It can take a lot of time for them to get better though and during that time you will have to help her eat and drink several times a day.

Here's the treatment if you want to try it:

Prednisone was suggested as symptomatic relief. Vitamin E and B complex are both good for neurological disorders. Selenium helps absorb vitamin E.

Here's what I do for affected birds. If started before symptoms get severe, the bird will totally recover. To give vitamin E - just cut the end off a human capsule and squirt it in the bird's mouth.
    It is important to be sure the bird gets enough to eat and drink while it has this problem. Birds with severe cases of crookneck can't eat and drink enough to survive. You will need to gently place their head in the feed dish and carefully dip just the tip of the beak in water. Be careful not to dip too far into the water and to not stress the bird while trying to help.

The following is for an adult about 2 pound bird. Scale back for smaller birds.

For the first week I give
    *Twice a day
    2.5 mg of prednisone (5 drops for a 12 wk old bird)
    400 IU of vitamin E
    *Once a day
    A piece of human vitamin B complex pill or a squirt of human liquid vitamins
    Selenium (50 micrograms/day for half size juvenile for 3 days)

For the second week I give
    *Once a day
    2.5 mg of prednisone (or 2 drops morning, 3 drops evenings)
    400 IU of vitamin E- ½- morning, ½-evening
    *Every other day

For the following week I give
    *Once a day
    2.5 mg of prednisone (reduce every 2 days until the end of week)
    400 IU of vitamin E- ½- morning, ½-evening
    *Every third day

Do not abruptly stop prednisone, the swelling rebounds, decrease dose gradually.
    Vitamin E recovery can be slow; continue the vitamin E for several weeks at least.
    You can get the prednisone from a vet; just describe the problem of swelling in the brain probably due to injury. Yes Silkies' brains do stick out through a hole on the top of the skull.

You can get the vitamin E, selenium, and vitamin B complex or liquid vitamins at any pharmacy.

I also bought Avia Charger 2000 from McMurrey it has minerals and vitamins that's is put in their water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by