Sick Silkie...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BamaBowdens, Jul 2, 2016.

1. BamaBowdens

BamaBowdens Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    Southern Alabama
    HELP! I found a few chicks with pasty but a couple days ago. I brought them in and washed/dried them tonight. 2 of the 3 went back in the brooder fine. 1 is acting real sick. What can I do to help her?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    A little more info will be helpful.
    Pictures of your brooder setup and the chick would be great.

How old are they?
    How long did they have pasty butt before you cleaned them up?
    What do you mean by "acting real sick"?
    What symptoms does it have, lethargic, can't stand, puffed up, won't eat/drink, not pooping?

Keep her warm, keep on top of the pasty butt to make sure the vent is clear, provide fresh water (you can add electrolytes/poultry vitamins if you have them), she needs to stay hydrated. Offer wet chick starter.

1 person likes this.
  3. BamaBowdens

BamaBowdens Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    Southern Alabama
    Update: I didn't get any replies last night and thought I might loose her. To answer some of your questions: I have 24 total that are right at a week old. Of the 3 I cleaned, 1 of the silkies is the only one that was stumbling around, falling over backward, and just looking disoriented. Tried to leave her under the heat lamp and hand feed starter to her. Wasn't working. Offered water to her, wasn't working. After I started the thread, I just sat in my office chair holding her up against me, trying to warm and calm her. After about 30-60 mins, the distressed shrilling stopped, she laid almost lifeless. After another 20 mins, I decided to try her back in the brooder. Watched her for about 5 more mins, then saw her just jump up, begin climbing over others headed for water. She drank, then went for food, then started acting normal. They only had pasty butt for about 3 days prior to cleaning. I was changing their bedding, and checking all of them. Got the others placed back in the brooder, then started cleaning the 3 in warm water with gentle strokes of a baby wipe. Gently rinsed them, then used a blow dryer on just over cool on slow. Checked on her when I changed their water this morning and all seem do be doing great! Thanks very much for the reply. At least I'll know for any future occurances.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad she's doing better[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by