Sick silkie.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by camershek, Sep 5, 2016.

1. camershek

camershek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2016
    Sand lake, Michigan
    I've got a silkie, his name is red. Yesterday I noticed him laying in the grass while everyone was trampling over him and he didn't move. Figured he was dead so grabbed him but he wasn't! Now I have no idea what's wrong! He was limp but responsive. I gave him lots of water and he was happy to drink it. He was seemingly back to normal so I put him in the coop and he had what I believe was a seizure (I didn't see the whole thing I just heard it so he could've also just been knocked down and couldn't get up). Now he doesn't walk. He has some strength in his legs and will push himself across the floor but can't stand. I've been feeding him applesauce and chicken food mush and giving him pedialyte to make sure he stays hydrated.
    Is there anything else I can do for him?
    Has anyone gone thru this with a chicken?
    I'm not giving up on him until he's dead or better![​IMG]

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

I am sorry you Silkie is struggling. You can feed mashed boiled or scrambled egg. Also I thing vitamins might help. Poly vi sol, with NO iron baby vitamins works. Or they have bird vitamins. Make sure it includes the "B's".

I have heard silkies are prone to wry neck, not sure if that's it.

3. EggSighted4Life

Skip the applesauce.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The worst thing to do is to start medicating and changing the feed...Water is the best with a sick chicken..Wetting its usual feed and adding a tiny bit of apple sauce to entice him to eat might work...?
    Check out the Chicken Chick...Awesome factual info...

Best of luck

5. EggSighted4Life

I always look forward to seeing what you post, as I think you often have really good advice. [​IMG]
    And maybe a little more experience than me...

6. chickens really

Not sure about that?? I only know what I was taught and what works...Chickens are as hard or as easy as we allow them to be....I personally, keep it simple....

Thanks...I try.

7. camershek

Jun 1, 2016
    Sand lake, Michigan
    Thanks for the suggestions but sad to say, when I got home shortly after posting this there was no coming back for him. He was struggling to breathe and was completely limp. After bawling my eyes out my husband put him out of his misery and we had a little chicken funeral out back and buried him.

8. chickens really

Sorry to hear that.....Keep an eye on the rest of your flock for the same symptoms....
    Hope they all remain well....

Best of luck..

9. EggSighted4Life

That's terrible, I'm sorry! [​IMG]

Definitely keep a close watch on the rest of the flock. Look at poos! Make sure and do a good cleaning just for good practice, many do so after the loss of a bird. Make sure there is no mold on your feed and double check for anything poisonous if you were free ranging. Of course I am only trying to make helpful suggestions, as I am sure your head is spinning right now. And in no way am I trying to say you did anything wrong! So please don't take it like that.

Glad your Hubby was there to help and to hold you!

Best wishes.

10. camershek

Jun 1, 2016
    Sand lake, Michigan

The only others in with him are another silkie and 6 chicks and they all seem happy and healthy but definitely keeping a close eye. I've double checked my food and it seems good. I believe he got dehydrated and I didn't notice. I was checking their water every hour or two but yesterday was super busy and i completely forgot :( I'm glad he was here otherwise I would've let him suffer until he died because I don't have the heart to kill him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by