Sick Silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sharon1610, Oct 29, 2016.

1. sharon1610

sharon1610 New Egg

Jan 23, 2016
    My silkie bantom is not very well. She is very lethargic, her head is very twitchy & her eyes are closed - almost like she is asleep & wakes herself up with a fright. Her poo is watery and around her chest is extended. She is drinking & eating a little bit. She seemed a bit off last night & slept away from the other hens. She is usually the "gate keeper" and won't let any other hens up in to the roost once she is in the gateway. What could be wrong with her & is it contagious.
    Thanks

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away... Premium Member

First off, [​IMG]
    Put her in a dog kennel and keep her in quarantine. Not only does the kennel keep other hens from getting sick, it gives her a chance to relax and recooperate.
    Check her eyes and face for mites and lice. Can you see any bugs? If you can't see any, check her whole body, just to be sure. If you find any, give her a warm bath to drown all the adults, and two more baths two days apart to get rid of all the new hatchlings.
    Can you post a picture of her? I can't be sure what her chest being extended looks like without one.
    Hope she get's better!

3. MyHappyGirls

MyHappyGirls Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2016
    Soquel, Ca
    Sounds like sour crop to me, see the thread on treating sour crop her it has very useful info:)

4. MyHappyGirls

MyHappyGirls Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2016
    Soquel, Ca
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

This is the article that saved my hen "Blue" multiple times from a slow crop and sour crop[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    All the information is very helpful if you can read it all it will be very useful if this is your Silkie's issue, down at the bottom of the article it talks about sour crop. Wonderful information. Thanks BYC!! Good luck keep us posted about your progress please[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by