Sick Silkie???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AuntKK, Sep 24, 2017.

1. AuntKK

AuntKK Chirping

Mar 24, 2012
    My pet Silkie just isn't acting normal. She isn't moving around much, keeps shaking her head. Walking seems difficult for her, like her balance is off. When standing she is kind of weaving back and forth. Not much of an appetite, very quiet. She is 6 years old. She is an only chicken and lives indoors with us, but goes outside during the day. When she is outside, the flies will not leave her alone, they are relentless against her. I have been diligent in keeping her clean and avoiding fly strike(she got that last year). Any suggestions?? I don't want to see my poor girl suffer.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry to hear she is not doing well.

Just in case, check her ears to make sure she doesn't have any debris, infection or mites in them. The shaking of the head sounds neurological - you can try vitamin treatment to see if she improves. You can give her Vitamin E and B1 (Thiamine) along with Selenium. Poultry Nutri-Drench contains E and Selenium and you can crush 1/2 of a B-complex tablet and add it daily to her normal feed.

See that she is eating/drinking well. If the shaking is bad and she is having trouble eating/drinking, you can gently swaddle her in a shirt or towel so you have more control over her and assist her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: