sick silkie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by quadcam79, Feb 23, 2008.

1. quadcam79

quadcam79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Fernandina Beach Fl.
    great first one of the crevecour chicks died, now one of my silkies is acting strange. it goes off on its own in the corner of the brooder, lays flat on the bottom or it stands and its head just dropa dn it falls forward, ame as the crev was doing. it was fine earlier..running aroun, eating, drinking...I dont know what the problem is. any ideas or is that just to be expected?...meanwhile, the rocks and orphingtons are all doing great

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Does it only do the head droop or is it only once in a while? Sounds like the little guy is falling asleep while standing which is common, however, is it being kept from heat and feed by any chance by the BO's? They are tiny chicks and bo's can grow quite fast.

3. quadcam79

quadcam79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Fernandina Beach Fl.
    well I'm not sure...sometimes it's real lethargic and kinda wads up all alone in the corner just letting the other chicks step all over it, then later it's up and fine again..it's off and on like that.The other silkie isnt like that, you can tell when it;s just napping, this one is doing what the creveceour did before it died.

I named the silkies "bubble" and "squeak" like the food because of the sickly ones loud peeps when I pick it up.

I also sometimes feed it separate from the others because the BO's are voracious when it comes to that feeder. it is eating fine when i put food in front of it so maybe i'm just paranoid after the other chick died

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by