Sick silkie?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wrestling_mom, Oct 31, 2011.

1. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    I posted several days ago, along with a video, and got no response. I have a 30 week old silkie who has never laid an egg to our knowledge. For about a month now, she acts weird, tucking her head inside her body, and walking backwards. She looks really silly doing it, she also lays by herself, isn't eating well, doesn't respond well. She will get up later in the day, and act normal, other than a LOT of the weird head in chest backward walk. She is like chewing her neck like a dog with fleas, but we don't see anything on her. Any ideas?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I just went to your old post and checked out the video. That is odd behavior. If you can't see any signs of lice or mites or anything wrong with her crop, I wonder if it could be related to wry neck. I had a silkie who would kind of twist her neck into her chest with wry neck but she didn't wiggle her head into her chest like that. It wouldn't hurt to look up wry neck since silkies are susceptible to the disorder it is helpful to know about it. I suppose people are not posting because we are just as mystified by her behavior as you are.

Here is the video:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  3. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    uh oh, I have no idea what that is, but is sounds bad:( Thank you, I am going to research that now.

4. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    She looks horrible today:( We brought her in last night, and she is just curled in her ball, and doing circles occasionally. We may have to cull her, she looks miserable.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Wry neck would be your best case scenario. It's easily cured with poly-v-sol. It's a baby vitamin supplement you get at the drug store. Worked wonders on my buff laced polish. Breeds with crests (silkies & polish) are more prone to wry neck because their skull has a hole in it. This can swell and cause symptoms like you are mentioning. It could be neurological.. she could have been pecked on that 'soft spot'... Just try the vitamin drops. My Carl improved immediately. He was walking in circles and had really bad balance.

Let me know how it works out.

6. aoxa

Please don't cull her without trying the vitamin drops [​IMG] she could be better in days!

7. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

You'd almost think she's got something stuck in her skin, or under it, the way she keeps going after the same spot...
    But I'd try the baby vits first before you cull. Its worth a try.

8. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Quote:Husband gets paid Friday, we will DEFINITELY get her the drops first thing! She is my favorite, we call her Fuzzibutt. I never even knew what a silkie was til I saw one here, and realized that that was what TSC gave us:)

9. aoxa

Quote:Husband gets paid Friday, we will DEFINITELY get her the drops first thing! She is my favorite, we call her Fuzzibutt. I never even knew what a silkie was til I saw one here, and realized that that was what TSC gave us:)

I'm glad you are going to try to help her. Make sure she is eating enough though.. Very important. My Carl wasn't able to aim at the grains properly. I had to help him. Let us know how she is though!

10. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC

I'm glad you are going to try to help her. Make sure she is eating enough though.. Very important. My Carl wasn't able to aim at the grains properly. I had to help him. Let us know how she is though!

We just tried to give her a bath. Nothing smells as bad in a house as a chicken that laid in tuna [​IMG] I read that tuna had good vitamins in it, but I think it has to go IN her tummy, [​IMG] , not ON it. I also found a bottle of multi vitamins, got one one of those, and smashed it with a hammer, and added it to some water, and spoon fed her some. It's all we have til Friday:(
    It's weird that she perks up some at night, but NOT much, she just keeps digging and digging in her neck. We also didn't see any bugs on her or in the bath water. I'll upload new pics in a while.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by