Sick Silkie?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lil'fuffy, Dec 1, 2011.

1. lil'fuffy

lil'fuffy New Egg

Dec 1, 2011
    I'm not new to raising chickens but I am new to raising silkies. I have one in particular that keeps tucking its head way under it's body. When I hold it, it nearly stands on it's head and somersaults over it's body. She also full extends her neck and spreads her wings. Lethargic and won't eat or drink. I'm feeding Medicated Start and Grow, changing water twice a day litter every few days or so. Born 11/14/11 from MPC, I separated it from the other chicks (assorted layers) and have placed a heating pad under it's individual box. Nothing out of the ordinary on it's body, vent is clear, but behaviors seems to be neurological? She makes a quiet snapping sound with her beak, like grinding teeth. She did peep at her flock mates when they made complaint noises. Please help! I'm in panic mode and the avian vet won't see her until the 5th!

2. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I don't have an answer for you - but you may want to post this in the emergencies forum to get a faster response. Hope she gets better soon. It's hard to loose them, especially when they are so young. One of our 6 White Leghorns passed away on Day 3 and there wasn't any visible reason why. Keep her hydrated, give her some baby vitamins or chick vitamins without iron and make sure she stays warm.

3. cityslickers

cityslickers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Florida
  4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I agree. It's easily treated which is a plus.

Hope you look into this further [​IMG]

Silkies are prone to wry neck.

5. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree. It's easily treated which is a plus.

Hope you look into this further [​IMG]

Silkies are prone to wry neck.

yes silkies are easily prone to this also this will happen if they get pecked on the head (their soft spot) but I don't know how 'easily' treated it is....

if there is a remedy please let me know...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by