Sick Silkie

mylittlechicken

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 7, 2013
Elgin, TX
One of my white Silkies acted really weird this morning.
It make some strange movements with the head left and right ( it almost looks like a stroke to me or something wrong with the nerves?). The other thing is, it looks like the chicken need to vomit. It stretches the chest and throuht and it looks it needs to throw up.
I seperated it now, cause I have no idea what that could be.
Please I need some suggestions. And I am afraid my other 4 birds from the same cage could be infected too.
Really need some help with this.

Last edited:
It sounds like she might just be adjusting her crop. Chickens often move their head up and down or side to side and move their neck around when they've eaten a lot of food or eaten too quickly. My chickens occaisonally do it when they gobble down too much wet feed at once.

I would check her crop, though. Feel it. Is it hard or squishy? A hard crop may mean that she has an impacted crop while a squishy one could indicate sour crop.

If her crop doesn't feel abnormally hard or soft, she's probably just eaten too much too quickly and is adjusting her crop. She should be back to normal soon.

I just checked her crop and I think it feels normal (tho I never checked a chickens crop before), feels normal to me.
How long shall I keep her seperated? Shall I keep her seperate at all?

I looked it up how chicken look like with wry neck. No that is not how my chicken looks. The head is normal up, it just do from time to time this strange movements.
Hubby just came back in and he said, the chicken act normal again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom