sick silkies

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eggdicted, Sep 20, 2009.

1. eggdicted

eggdicted Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2009
    White Hall
    i have about 10 silkies that are all sick a few are worse than others a few have white mucous build up in their eyes and most of them are sneezing half are coughing and a couple have rattling sounds when breathing ive been using a cicline antibiotic for five days with no improvment i have been giving them vitamins in there water and put them on some of my starter grower that is 23% but they arent getting better any ideas on what to do next

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Have you started them on any antibiotics?

Do you have pictures, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here that can probably help you by looking at the pics.

3. eggdicted

eggdicted Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2009
    White Hall
    yeah they were on oxytricicline for 5 days as recomended and no improvment infact there probably worsesorry i i willl get some pics but dont want to go to there pen unless to feed or water them there not the only chickens i have and dont want to spread it around

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Tylan or erythromycin or baytril are better for respiratory illnesses---assuming that it is bacterial and not viral. Chances of getting a vet to prescribe baytril for that many birds is pretty slim IMO, since that could be considered whole-flock treatment (disallowed).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by