Sick Silkies

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OntChickenLady, Oct 29, 2014.

1. OntChickenLady

OntChickenLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2014
    Hi I need some help figuring out what's wrong with my 18 week old silkie hens. They've stopped eating or drinking are sleeping a lot and are very lethargic. There is no unnatural poops or anything so I'm confused as to what could be causing this.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Any other symptoms? What type of feed have they been on? What is the ventilation like? Do they have outdoor access?
    What is their bedding? Details.

3. OntChickenLady

Apr 20, 2014
    No other symptoms. They've been on chick grower. ventilation is good coop has windows I open every day. Yes they have outdoor access their outside every day. Their bedding is straw.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Has the straw gotten wet?

So, if the windows are opened during the day, does that mean they're closed during the night?

Are they all acting the same?

5. frobergs2

frobergs2 New Egg

Apr 3, 2014
    I thought of ventilation as well, or some kind of poisoning...how many birds are doing this?

6. OntChickenLady

Apr 20, 2014
    It got a bit wet so I changed it. Their kind of closed at night I put a wire cover on them at night to keep weasels out. It's just the two hens that are sick my other hen and two roosters are fine along with the other birds that are in with them.

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Perhaps it's a poisoning of some kind.

8. OntChickenLady

Apr 20, 2014
    Could they have eaten a plant or something that did this?

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Coccidiosis, worms, or toxic mold from the feed or the bedding would be my thoughts. Since it is only the two affected, I would treat for worms with Valbazen or SafeGuard Goat Wormer 1/2 ml by mouth, then repeat in 10 days. At the same time, I would get Corid (amprollium) and start a 5 day treatment in the water. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water. Check the feed closely for any mold or moldy odor. Check their crops to make sure they are not hard and impacted. Look at their skin for signs of mites and lice. Lastly, I would make sure they are drinking water, and have not been bullied away from the water or feed. I always like to have 2 feeders and 2 waterers, separated in case of that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by