Sick silky roo

Fcarter

Songster
6 Years
Apr 11, 2017
Roscoe is a 2.5 yr old silky rooster. The day before yesterday he stayed in his house so I lifted him out. He wouldn't walk, just stayed on the ground. Again, yesterday I lifted him out for more food and water which he had a small amount. Today the same thing. When he does walk it's more of a 'creep' than a walk. I see no injury or other sign of distress. What does he need? What can I do for him?
Thanks

Then he may be struggling to recover from hypothermia. It can have deep adverse effects on his organs, and generally it can affect his energy levels and overall organ function, slowing everything down.

This constitutes a stress event, and to treat stress, we want to elevate glucose levels to goose his system into returning to normal. This is easily accomplished by giving him sugar water over the next two days. One teaspoon of sugar, brown sugar is best because it has vitamins, with a pinch of salt and baking soda in one cup warm water.

Thanks. I'm going to set up a warm place in the garage and make him some of the sugar water you suggested .

If you can get any pictures of his feet and legs tomorrow, that might be helpful. Human B complex can be helpful with some leg issues, including walking on hocks. Give 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily crushed into some food.

If you can get any pictures of his feet and legs tomorrow, that might be helpful. Human B complex can be helpful with some leg issues, including walking on hocks. Give 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily crushed into some food.
His feet and legs seem and look fine. Up until this evening he wouldn't try to grab my finget but tonight he very weakly tried. I will get pics tomorrow. I am giving him sugar water and I cooked an egg for him tonight.

He is still not moving a lot, only his head. He had a few bites of egg last night and still puts his head in the feeder to eat. What else can I do for him? Pic of feet to come shortly.

Here are his feet. He is moving a little better and pitching a small fit when he is picked up. Improvements!

Attachments

• 20221231_111521.jpg
    20221231_111521.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20221231_111511.jpg
    20221231_111511.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 3
Roscoe is still very weak. He will flap his wing when I pick him up. His head is still down but he is walking (waddling) a little bit more. He shakes his head a lot when eating. Anything else I can do for him? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230101_124006.jpg
    20230101_124006.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230101_123956.jpg
    20230101_123956.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom