sick silver penciled cochin UPDATE:Precious has died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeannieo, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    My silver penciled cochin banty hen, Precious, is very lethargic.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. silver penciled cochin banty hen, approx. 2 years old, about 2.5 lbs

2) What is the behavior, exactly. lethargic, not eating or drinking, just laying down like she's too tired to stand

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 1-2 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. just her right eye looks irritated and she pretty much keeps it closed

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. nothing

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. not eating or drinking except when I dribble water on her beak and put her beak in yogurt, then she has no choice but to eat it. she is not eating it but she has dishes of oatmeal, with crumbled hard boiled egg yolk and plain yogurt. also Layena pellets soaked to mush, scratch, grit

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. very little poo but from what I can see, normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Poly vi sol 3 drops in beak, dribbled pedialyte in beak,

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would love to treat myself as my chicken vet is about an hour away and we are having an ice storm right now, so going to the vet right now is out of the question but I would take her as soon as I am able

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

[​IMG]

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use 8 x 12 coop, attached enclosed run (not using it right now due to crappy weather), pine shavings DLM

I have some Tribrissen (Trimethoprim/Sulfadiazine) left over from December from the vet when another hen had a stuck egg issue (she's fine now). I've kept the meds in the fridge and the expiration date is march of 2013. Should I give her some of that? The original Rx said to give 1.2 ml 2X daily for ten days but it was for a standard size hen and Precious is well, precious and only about 2 1/2 lbs. Also the entire flock of 28 were treated for round worms with Wazine about 5 days ago. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  2. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    Miss Lydia has been an ENORMOUS source of information and support and I so appreciate the time she has taken to answer each and every one of my PM's. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] But I was wondering if anyone had any further information on foods to tempt Miss Precious. I think she may be having a reoccurance of wry neck that she had last May. The difference this time is she won't eat. Last time I put vitamins in her food and she gobbled it right up and she was good as new in about 2-3 weeks. This time I can not get her to eat and she is acting like she's gone blind, which as a matter of fact happened last time, but her sight came back. She looks like she wants to eat, when I put something in the carrier, she tips her head and pecks at the food but doesn't quite connect. [​IMG]. Every so often I go and put her beak in some liquidy yogurt that I've put the vitamins in and she seems to get a bit that way. Also, she had poly vi sol this morning and I am dribbling water with pedialyte on her beak. Also about 5 days ago, I wormed the flock of 28 with Wazine and am planning the second attack this weekend with Zimectrin gold. Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

I've offered her oatmeal, unseasoned Ramen noodles, corn bread, yogurt, mushy Layena, scrambled egg, boiled egg yolk, scratch, grit

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  3. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    Precious is about the same today EXCEPT her eye seems much worse, very swollen. I have some neosporin WITHOUT pain reliever that I'm about to put on the eye. I just flushed it with plain warm water. She ate a little Kefir today with vitamin E and some liquid B complex and I will give poly vi sol without iron. Help? please? [​IMG]

to show how swollen
    [​IMG]

eye shut
    [​IMG]

another shot of eye
    [​IMG]

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Has she had any discharge from her beak or eyes? I reread your post, but didn't see anything about that.
    I think you're right on as far as her not eating because she can't really see to peck at her food which is most likely why you're not seeing much poo.

5. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    no, no discharge that I acn see and now I can't find the *&%$#@ neosporin!

6. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    got home and the eye was totally closed with a drop of dark yellow gooey looking stuff on the lid and it's more swollen. I gently washed the eye with plain warm water on a cotton ball, dried it with a cotton ball, and liberally applied Neosporin. I'm calling the vet but does anyone have any ideas? She drank a little water from a spoon and ate a little kefir from a spoon. She seems hungry and thirsty but when I put a dish right up to her beak she doesn't eat or drink.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. SandyS

SandyS New Egg

Feb 11, 2010
    Three of my Cochins had this same thing several months ago.

1)Quaratine from rest of flock but be on the lookout for it spreading. It's like pinkeye and just as contagious!

2)Warm compresses to open up the eye and get the pus out.

3)Neosporin or any Opthalmic antibiotic oinment, I used Neo (even tho is not labled for eyes). Twice daily applications.

Should clear up in a few days. When she can see again, she should start eating. You might want to provide a heat lamp.

Hope this helps!!! FWIW, it scared the crap outta me when I first saw it!

8. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i also rinsed out the eye with warm strong brewed tea from a tea bag.. i even used the tea bag to swab and drip the liquid into the eye.. it took about 3 days for my babies eye to heal but she was fine after..

9. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    Quote:She's been away from the flock for 3 or 4 days. I took her to the vet and she said conjunctivitis which BTW I do know is pinkeye! She gave me opthalmic ointment to put in 2X daily, so Sandy, you are right on! thank you!

10. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    Quote:Yes, it does look pretty scary! I have Precious in a carrier in the furnace room and go and try to get water or food into her every couple of hours. She's been drinking water from a teaspoon and doing pretty good. She drinks an entire teaspoon full. I have some baby parrot formula that I mix up with some kefir and she eats a miniscule amount of that. the eye is sooo swollen today! and it looks so painful! I wish I could do more, I just love her. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by