Sick, sleepy, pale rooster!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by munchkin123, Nov 13, 2014.

1. munchkin123

munchkin123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2014
    Hi, this is my first time on Backyard Chickens.

A few days ago, our Black Copper Marin rooster who is about 6 months old began to act strange. He just stands around thecoop and falls asleep. His poop was a little runny, and today his comb and waddle turned pale. He doesn't have runny eyes or nose,but has lost a lot of weight. He seems to be eating O.K. though, and he still scuttles away if we get too close to him. Our hens don't seem to be behaving like this, and we do NOT want to kill him or get ride of him. we think it may be worms, but we're still not sure...

Any ideas would be great! Thank you soooo much!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry about your boy. He is a bit young to be too over loaded with worms, although it is possible. He could have coccidiosis. That will cause runny poop, weight loss and sometimes they go off their feed and water. You might try some Corid or something with Amprolium in his water. You can get this at the feed store. This is put in the water for 5 to 7 days. Follow the directions on the bottle for dosages.

Does he have an signs of respiratory ailments...runny nose, sneezing, raspy breathing? If so, he could be suffering from a respiratory infection to which some Duramycin or Sulfadimethoxine will help to clear it up.

If you don't think he has a respiratory issue, give the Corid a try before worming. If you have had this boy with you since he was a baby and are good with hygiene, it is probably not worms yet. However if the Corid doesn't clear him up, you might try some Wazine, Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer or Valbazen to worm him.

Stop by our emergency section too for more input...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck and I hope you can get your boy healed up soon!

3. munchkin123

munchkin123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2014
    Thank you so much! We will try that! if we give him Corid in his water, can we put it in the main water, shared by all of our chickens who do not seem sick, or isolate him with his own water? Is it safe to eat the eggs from chickens who have taken the Corid?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope you will keep us updated on your flock. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

5. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire

Corid is ok for the entire flock but there is a withdrawal period for eating eggs. Put coccidiosis in the search on this page. There should be some articles that talk about withdrawal.

Welcome to BYC. There is lots of great information on this site.

:welcome

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. You can give Corid to all your birds, it wont hurt them. There is NO withdrawal period after using corid, eggs are safe to eat.

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Best of luck to you![​IMG]

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Hope your bird is OK.

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Welcome, hope your roo recovers.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

Good luck with your rooster!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by