Sick SLW- 7 months old- nothing is helping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by STaggart, Dec 1, 2013.

1. STaggart

STaggart Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Hello,
    I have a SLW that is 7 months old and is very sick. She has not started laying yet so I am not concerned with egg bound as of yet. For the past 5 days now I have treated her with Corid because I thought it could be Cocci, but even that is not helping. Symptoms include: lethargic, sleepy all the time, had bloody urates at first now it is a little solid (green) but still a little runny, she started eating and drinking by herself yesterday, but today she is not eating or drinking again, and her wattles and comb are turning yellow, she also has black spots (not raised) on her legs and feet, very light feeling- her breast bone is protruding badly, and her pupils are not dilating under the sunlight. She has been isolated under a heat lamp for 5 days now with little to no improvement. I have checked for mites and lice and nothing. I have checked her mouth and nothing seems to be wrong- all air passages are clear. I will start probiotics tonight with a vitamin supplement too. Does anyone out there know what could be wrong? I really do not want to lose her, but I have researched everything under the sun and cannot find out what it could be. Any help or suggestions at all would be helpful! Thank you in advance!!!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are any others sick? It sounds to me like a very bad case of coccidiosis. Did she actually have blood streaks in the stools? Coccidia and worms both can cause extensive damage to the intestines. I would either continue the Corid for 2 more days (and go ahead and start probiotics) or I would switch medicines to sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox.) If her skin is turning yellow that could be a sign of liver failure, but I hope it's not that.

3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If she has had any other symptoms that you can describe, she might possibly have something else wrong. Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, diarrhea, puffing up, poor appetite, and pale color.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. STaggart

Aug 2, 2013
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    No other birds sick as of yet. However, I did put them all on Corid when I started the treatment for my SLW. So they all have been getting it for 5 days now. Velma (my SLW) did have bloody poo the first 2 days of treatment, but for the last 3 days I have not see any and I have been cleaning out the poo everyday at least 5 times a day. Just to make sure there is no other contamination. I will keep with Corid for another 2 days and start probiotics and vitamins within the next hour. When I saw the yellowing of her wattles and facial skin I thought of liver failure. I hope it's not because then she really may be a goner for sure. Geez I hope not. How long does it usually take for a bird to recover from Cocci? I will also look for the sulfadimethoxine too.Tthanks for the advise!

6. STaggart

Aug 2, 2013
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Yes, she has been puffed up looking for 5 days now. She has been very lethargic, too. The first two days she didn't want to eat or drink, so I fed her a mash up of feed and water and Dopplered her for water. Her urates are very green looking solid, but still a little runny today, but definitely had diarrhea until yesterday. She has been real sleepy with her eyes closed or just one. Not walking much but standing or laying a lot. She has not really been pale in color until about 2 hours ago. that's when I noticed the yellowing of her wattles and skin around her ears. Her pupils are not dilating as they should either and two days ago I noticed she had black spots developing on her legs and feet. They are not raised as with pox, but flush with her skin. Not sure what this is. I thought about nerve damage because that's what can happen in humans. Skin turns black when nerve damage occurs- sometimes not always.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It would be good if you could post a picture of the leg spots. Others may know the cause.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  10. STaggart

Aug 2, 2013
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Ok, after reading about the Necrotic Enteritis I think something else may be going on along with my original thought of Cocci. She has every symptom of the N.E. I will pick up some Penicillin (injectable if I can get it, that would eliminate me having to touch it because I am allergic to it). You listed three different medications which the Bacitracin is a medicine found in feed. Did you mean to treat with one or all 3 of them for Necrotic Enteritis? I think I might have some Terramycin in my "chicken get well" kit...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by