Sick SLW

Blue Raptor

As Astera Per Aspera
Premium Feather Member
Feb 20, 2021
Deutschland 🇩🇪
My Coop
My Coop
Based off my thread ‘Tumor in chicken?’ I have recently observed that there is yolk dripping from her vent so I am led to believe that an egg broke inside of her and is now infected. 🙁 What can I do for her? (Surgery not an option.) she has been in this state for almost a week.

Based off my thread ‘Tumor in chicken?’ I have recently observed that there is yolk dripping from her vent so I am led to believe that an egg broke inside of her and is now infected. 🙁 What can I do for her? (Surgery not an option.) she has been in this state for almost a week.
You could administer antibiotics to treat the possible oviduct infection and additional calcium + vitamin D supplement (tablets) to help expell the residues.

A warm epsom salt bath might help as well, but dry her afterwards using towels and a blow dryer and keep her inside your house for several hours.

But make sure to have at least 4-5 hours in between the antibiotic and the calcium, otherwise the calcium may interfere with the antibiotic's uptake.

Is a vet an option?

Some more questions for you:

How old is she?
When did she last lay and how did the egg look (good hard shell etc)?
When did you last deworm her?

Some more questions for you:

How old is she?
When did she last lay and how did the egg look (good hard shell etc)?
When did you last deworm her?
About 3 years.
I don’t know, she hasn’t laid in a long time.
Never, should I now?
Vet is not an option.
Also, it’s been about a week, is it too late for her?

How is she doing today?

Does her abdomen feel bloated or rather hard, is it swollen? Feel between her legs and underneath her cloaca.

You could follow the suggestions above mentioned and see if it helps. If you never dewormed her, you might want to do it now.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sick-slw.1503887/post-25181538

In case you do not see any improvement and she is suffering, you might consider putting her out of her misery.

Back
Top Bottom