Sick small chick at 4 1/2 weeks old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bowen Mt Chicken, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Bowen Mt Chicken

Bowen Mt Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    We have a little chick that our broody hens are raising, she has 4 others that although slowish to start feathering up are now almost fully feathered at 4 and 1/2 weeks old, then the small one that is still the size of a day old chick is still running around with her, this chick was starting to look sick and became slow so i went in and picked it up and found small little lump things all over it's head just where the down is and it is starting to loose it's down but no feathers, it did start to get feathers on it's wings but has since stopped, I took a photo from around an eye to see the small lump things, I read through a few things on her about what to do, the flock has now all been wormed and I got some lice powder as the chick was covered all over it's tummy and vent area with lice, and they were all treated along with all new bedding a big clean out and lice powder put through all of that as, they were let into a large dry area with heaps of dirt for some dirt baths, I am more concerned as we have had some more chicks hatch, one of the other hens has 2 of the chicks and the rest are in a safe area away from all the others in the shed with their heat lamp, I am making the kids wash their hands before and after handing any of the chicks and chickens to prevent whatever it is from spreading, the other 4 chicks are all thriving though, what should we do with this chick? Thanks. I can't seem to find any photo's of the things on it's head, they are not moving they are just there and the chick is starting to bald in areas, I just don't want to infect the other chicks.
    see pic:

[​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    eeep those DO look like mite/louse eggs!

I would separate him, and dust him down with sevin dust...very carefully....or get a cotton swab, and gently wipe down the really bad areas with mineral oil or vaseline to try to smother them? I dunno!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  3. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    ...can you put topical ivermectin on a chick that young?

4. Bowen Mt Chicken

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    Okay, thank you, I will try the vasoline and see if that work, I've never seen lice eggs before except when the kids had them a few years back, but they were obviously a different type of lice.

5. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    any update on the little chick?

6. Bowen Mt Chicken

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    It got lice treatment and cleaning, it is still looking a little strangly, but it is also seeming a lot better, it looks to have grown suddenly a little and it now running around more, all the other chooks were also treated much to their disgust, and their sleeping/nesting quarters, but it is looking heaps better, which is good, thank you.

7. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Im so glad the little guy is doing better! Thanks for the update!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by