sick, small chick - help?

seabeck3

Hatching
11 Years
May 26, 2008
Seabeck
We rec'd our chicks from the hatchery May 12th. All of them are healthy and hearty except one. A Buff Oprington, the chick is much smaller than the other, just wants to lay down and doesn't seem to eat or drink unless her beak is touched to water/food. I've isolated the chick, but am at a loss as to what to do now. Help?

do you have your birds on medicated starter?

separate and put electrlytes in the water... you will need to monitor her water intake and help every couple hours or so to ensure she gets sufficient fluids

I would suggest you get a good complete general supplement like AviaChatge 2000 (you can order this online form McMurray or Strombergs) and mix that with a few tablespons of cooked-in-water oatmeal and mix that thru her starter .

Last edited:
Not on medicated starter - the chicks were vaccinated at the hatchery for Marek's & cocxyodosis(sp?). I have teramyacin for the water. I also added sugar to the water for the first couple days. Would the sugar help the small chick now?

I see.
No the sugar would not help. If you suspect she is dehydrated then you would need to give electrolytes. Some birds fail to thrive for a variety of reasons (and isn this case where vaccinations are involved, it is not unheard for for the occasional vaccination not to take or such) What I am saying is that basically your bird is listless and definitely somehting wrong but it would be impossible to "diagnose"... normally you would only give antibiotics if there were say respiratory symptoms or such ... something more than just listless. When bird is sick there will be less nutrient intake which is why I advised the AviaCharge 2000 ...a basic nutritional support measure to help her not get dietary deficiiencies on top of whatever is ailing her.

Chick was dead when I got home from work today. But I appreciate your help. All 24 other chicks are healthy and (I hope) happy!

Back
Top Bottom