Sick sneezing chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Youtjatoor, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Youtjatoor

Youtjatoor Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2017
    Fuquay-Varina NC
    Brought this little barred cockerel home yesterday and he was doing perfectly well. all his other siblings were just great too.. acting normal, foraging, scratching, eating, everything..... today i get home from work and i notice this behavior. just every once in a while and now its every few seconds and he looks like he is gasping almost. what could it be? i dont want to lose him :(

Someone said it might be allergies but I'm confused. What do I do. He's on pine shavings. Dumors organic start and plain water.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Keep a close eye on him. He may be sneezing because of dust in the feed or,bedding, but a respiratory infection such as infectious bronchitis might be a problem that he has caught from another carrier chicken recently. Make sure that he is warm if he appears to be chilling. IB can spread throughout a flock quickly. Sneezing and clear nasal drainage are the main symptoms, but little chicks may be more at risk. I would contact the seller to tell them about the problem. Here is a little reading about IB:
    Infectious Bronchitis

Synonyms: IB, bronchitis, cold
    Species affected: Infectious bronchitis is a disease of chickens only. A similar disease occurs in bobwhite quail (quail bronchitis), but it is caused by a different virus.
    Clinical signs: The severity of infectious bronchitis infection is influenced by the age and immune status of the flock, by environmental conditions, and by the presence of other diseases. Feed and water consumption declines. Affected chickens will be chirping, with a watery discharge from the eyes and nostrils, and labored breathing with some gasping in young chickens. Breathing noises are more noticeable at night while the birds rest. Egg production drops dramatically. Production will recover in 5 or 6 weeks, but at a lower rate. The infectious bronchitis virus infects many tissues of the body, including the reproductive tract (see Table 1). Eggshells become rough and the egg white becomes watery. (See publication PS-24, Egg Quality, for other causes of poor egg quality.)
    Transmission: Infectious bronchitis is a very contagious poultry disease. It is spread by air, feed bags, infected dead birds, infected houses, and rodents. The virus can be egg-transmitted, however, affected embryos usually will not hatch.
    Treatment: There is no specific treatment for infectious bronchitis. Antibiotics for 3–5 days may aid in combating secondary bacterial infections. Raise the room temperature 5°F for brooding-age chickens until symptoms subside. Baby chicks can be encouraged to eat by using a warm, moist mash.
    Prevention: Establish and enforce a biosecurity program. Vaccinations are available.

3. Youtjatoor

Mar 7, 2017
    Fuquay-Varina NC
    Thanks eggcessive. No discharge of any kind. He's not lethargic Stools are fine. None of the other chicks are showing anything like this right now. Just him. Best course of action. Separate him Raise heat and enhance food and water?

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is he? I wouldn't separate him yet if he is very young, and the chicks have all been together all along. See how he is doing tomorrow.

5. Youtjatoor

Mar 7, 2017
    Fuquay-Varina NC
    He's a week tomorrow. He was part of a quartet. I already had 6, 1 week olds EE's. I brought him and his sister home yesterday. She's doing great. No signs of anything from the others either.

6. Youtjatoor

Mar 7, 2017
    Fuquay-Varina NC
    So everyone is still ok. No discharges of any kind. He is acting normal. No lethargy. Eating drinking. Scratching running. Everything. He sneezed maybe 3 times this morning and now for the last few hours nothing. So confused. Hoping it's over and it was a fluke thing.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I wouldn't worry then. All chickens sneeze once in awhile, and it's usually dust or something in their nostrils.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by