1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Speckled Sussex? Video of strange noise she's making...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jeffross1968, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    My Speckled Sussex has been making this screeching noise a lot today, especially over the last couple of hours. I have 3 Leghorns I've previously posted about, making gurgling noises during the hottest part of the day. I'm wondering if this looks familiar to anyone. Kind of hard to listen to. She's eating and drinking, moving around ok. There is no crustiness or discharge from the eyes or nose. Just this weird thing going on right now...As you'll see, she also stretches her neck when she does it. Very strange...

2. cbrown86

cbrown86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    I don't have a Sussex, but all of my chickens make a similar chirping noise when they are happy.

3. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    It's not the chirping sound that you hear during most of the video. The sound I'm concerned about is at the end of the video, as she extends her neck...She's making this sound every couple of minutes. Almost a wheeze, my wife thinks. I wouldn't know what to call it.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Huh something I have never seen before...what I would do is give her some bread soaked in olive oil because possibly there is something that is stuck.

5. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:Done, though she only ate a few small pieces. We'll see what happens. Very strange though...

6. cbrown86

cbrown86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    Is it hot where you are? Maybe it is thirsty? Or overheated?

7. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Maybe, but it's 9pm now, much cooler (though ridiculously muggy), she's in the coop up on the roost, standing, by herself instead of huddled with others, still making the sound. So I don't know what to think.

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I think she's just mad because the orange hen is getting into her business over there. You watch again!!! [​IMG]

9. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Try gently massaging her throat in a downward motion. Just her neck....not her crop. Be very gentle. She might have something stuck in there. That would be my only guess. If she is off by herself that's a pretty clear sign that something is bothering her.

I have a speckled that gets (what I call hiccups) when ever she free ranges. After she drinks water she is fine.

Hope she is going to be alright.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  10. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:We just took her out of the coop and did as you directed. Was unable to make a difference. Felt the crop but it didn't feel hard. Almost a wheezing noise when she breathes. Slight pressure on upper neck relieved the noise, but as soon as I moved my finger it began again. No mucus or water around eyes or nose. Went ahead and put her back in the coop. Jumped up on the roost and stood there like before. I dunno what to do...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by