1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick SQ Silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by keithallen1965, Oct 22, 2009.

1. keithallen1965

keithallen1965 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    conroe
    I have a 5 month SQ Silkie yesterday looked ok. Today her face and eyes have a brownish flakey looking substance that is covering her eyes. I also have another hen and roo the other hen does not appear to have any however the Roo has this on his comb. I also have 6 week old chicks in this pen, non of these appear to have any signs. The SQ Silkie cant see and is walking into the walls. I dont have any pictures sorry. Any Ideas?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Sounds like it could be fowl pox.

3. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I am pretty sure that is what we have too. It has rained for 3 straight weeks so I have not been out there much and haven't gotten up close and personal but now I can see that several of my birds in different pens have this. Should I vaccinate now? Most are adult birds. I am guessing all the rain brought out the mosquitos but where does the virus come from in the first place? Thanks for any help. Did not mean to hijack your thread, just was going to post the same thing anyway.

Marie

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by