sick sussex hen with picture

presley

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
The comb on my sussex hen last two days has been shrunken, pale pink, black spots today, and scabby looking. We put her in cage, giving her water with electrolytes, fruit. She also stopped laying last week or so. Has been very hot here, and she has been molting but thought she was finished.
97120_002.jpg

Her comb and wattles was bright pink and healthy looking just a few days ago. What else should we do? Thanks

Your hen has dry fowl pox. All you can do is let it run its course. It is a virus carried by mosquitos. The fowl pox will disappear in a few weeks. All you can do is provide supportive care. You can put iodine on the nodules and scabs to help dry them up. Dont get iodine in her eyes. If she scratches her eye or any other area causing an infection, use neosporin to treat it. No need to give her antibiotics internally (unless there's a bad secondary infection,) they are ineffective against a virus. Once the virus has run its course she will be immune to it and egg laying will gradually resume. The eggs are safe to eat while she is infected.

ok thank you so much for replying. So is it necessary to keep her isolated? Is is contagious?

Thank you all, I will keep her isolated. And also keep a fan going on her. Thanks!

Ok y'all my hen is getting worse. Scabs look horrible and are spreading more, around her eyes and head. What else should I do? She seems to be miserable.

Yes she's eating and drinking some. I can't watch her all day so not exactly sure. Thanks maybe will be better in couple days.

Back
Top Bottom