Sick Three year old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Redwine2001, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Redwine2001

Redwine2001 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2014
    i have been caring for our sick chicken since Christmas Eve. She seem lethargic and doesn't want to eat or drink. I have used a syringe to get water in her, I have some antibiotics but not sure how much to give a single chicken. Her bottom ( vent area ) has been poopy and she appears to have diarrhea. I have been giving her a bath to keep bottom clean. She normally eats meal and pellets. I have given her probiotics what else can I do? She's in the house in a kennel away from the other chickens who seem fine.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently, or moved to new ground where coccidiosis may be a problem? Corid (amprollium) will treat coccidiosis used in the water for 5 days. Worms could be another cause of diarrhea. Valbazen or Safeguard goat wormer 1/2 ml given orally then repeated in 10 days would treat worms. Valbazen gets all chicken worms, so it is preferable. Vent gleet or enteritis could be some other problems that would cause diarrhea. What antibiotic do you have? Are there any other symptoms? Here are some links to read about coccidiosis, enteritis, and vent gleet:
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/coccidiosis/overview_of_coccidiosis_in_poultry.html
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/101/necrotic-enteritis
    http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  3. Redwine2001

Dec 31, 2014
    Good evening eggsesive

We haven't done anything different, the chicken yard is as it has always been. Same since we got our girls.
    Nothing seems to be making the other girls sick. I tried to feed her warm oatmeal and she showed no interest.

4. dawglady

dawglady New Egg

Jan 1, 2015
    Um in same position and second d lot of anti biotic giving no improvement. Awaiting test results which won't be brilliant due to antibiotics already. Wondering if could capsular some tolda k as she won't drink or eat.not sure if continuing with amoxycillin as after 4 days she's still awful.and of course losing weight

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does she still lay eggs regularly? Internal laying/egg yolk peritonitis can be fairly common in older hens. Some signs are diarrhea, or intermittent passing of "cooked egg" material in stools. How does her crop feel? I had a couple of hens who were dying of a blocked gizzard and one who had suspected EYP, but they would eat a scrambled egg, or part of one each day. I would deworm her, since most chickens have some level of worms, which can cause intestinal damage or anemia.

6. Redwine2001

Dec 31, 2014
    Today I got her to eat alittle broccoli, lettuce and uncooked oatmeal. She drank water with antibiotics and now she's sleeping again.
    Only popped alittle one time, should I try the scrambled egg still?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would try the egg and putting warm water in her chicken feed to make an oatmeal consistency. What antibiotic are you using?

8. dawglady

dawglady New Egg

Jan 1, 2015
    I would feel be feeling happy that she has eaten anything. Yes i would try offering srambled egg and anything else she may like. I have found with poolies that they may say no not intersred in at 9am yet eat it at 2 so keep offereing her everything. Good luck. X

9. Redwine2001

Dec 31, 2014
    The antibiotic is Oxytetracycline HCI a broad spectrum antibiotic
    I gave her scrambled eggs this morning, she ate more lettuce and drank a little water. What is normal water consumption for a chicken? She doesn't seem to be drinking much.
    I also noticed she isn't opening one eye much and she doesn't like me placing the syringe in the same side of her beak.
    I appreciate all your help.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chickens drink much less in cold weather than they do in warmer weather. Also sick chickens will not drink well, and sometimes the antibiotics make the water taste bad. Not knowing exactly what is wrong with her makes it difficult, since different antibiotics are used to treat different illnesses. A vet can prescribe more powerful antibiotics such as Baytril and others. The tetracycline drugs can treat respiratory diseases and some intestinal diseases well. Egg yolk peritonitis is difficult to treat with antibiotics, but vets can prescribe Baytil or amoxicillin to help prolong life. Worms are an easy thing to rule out with Valbazen. I hope she starts getting better.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by