Sick Toulouse Goose (Female) - Looses balance and falls over, head tllted - Ear infection or ??? Ho

Discussion in 'Geese' started by SpottedSaddle, Jul 27, 2014.

1. SpottedSaddle

SpottedSaddle Hatching

Feb 13, 2013
    Tempe, Arizona
    I have a 3 or 4 year old Toulouse goose (Female). She's been a tough goose until lately, putting up with 110 plus temps in Arizona.

My geese normally eat bermuda grass and weeds and have access to fresh water at all times.

She was lethargic yesterday so I brought her inside to let her cool off and gave her water and chicken scratch slightly moistened. Her one eye was closed, but both are open today. She sleeps ALOT.

I put her in the tub to clean her up and see if it refreshed her. She did get a bit spunky in the tub, but had problems holding her head properly.

I've attached a picture of her with her sideways look.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. "Maxine" is a spunky gal and I'd like her to get better soon.

I'm new to geese so please explain any acronyms and provide a source if suggesting a remedy.

Thank you

Bart D. Hull
    Laveen, AZ

[​IMG]

2. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Crowing 6 Years

Dec 17, 2011
    I do not know what could be causing your goose trouble, but if she is showing signs of distress I am sure it is quite serious. Perhaps she ate something toxic? Do you have a vet in your area to take her to? I hope someone else chimes in to help. Best of luck!

3. TiaRC

TiaRC Songster

Jul 16, 2013
    Carteret county, NC
    She needs minerals and vitimins. She has a deficienty. You can get a paste or a water adder at a feed store

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member 8 Years

Could it be heat stroke? I would dif get some electrolytes to add to her drinking water.. 110 temps is pretty hot.

Preventing & Treating Heat Stroke
    This summer has brought us some extreme heat and we know our southern friends have had it even worse than us. Remember to protect your flock from heat stroke in this hot weather by providing plenty of shade. Be sure to change out water buckets and kiddy pools frequently with cold water to help them cool off. Many of our flock members enjoy being sprayed with cold water from the hose, while others prefer to relax beneath our misting system. If your pond water is warm, you will need to put out kiddy pools filled with cold water and change them out as needed to prevent the water from warming.
    In some regions it may become necessary to bring your flock members into an air-conditioned barn during the hottest hours of the day. They may protest, but it's for their own good.
    If you see your duck or goose panting excessively, continually lifting their wings up and down (in an "airing their armpits" motion), standing motionless directly under misters for long periods of time, attempting to submerge themselves in their water buckets, or acting uncharacteristically, these can all be early warning signs of heat stroke.
    If your duck or goose experiences any of these symptoms, immediately remove them from the sun and heat and into a cool area. Dip their webbed feet into a cool (NOT cold) bath to SLOWLY reduce their core temperature. If this is not enough, small ice packs can be placed under their wings for up to 60 seconds and then removed for a few minutes. Continue to place on-and-off-again as needed.
    If the situation persists, bring your pet to the vet for immediate assistance.

Hope your seeing some improvements already..
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Majestic Waterfowl Sanctuary makes no representation, warranty, or guarantee in connection with

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: