sick Toulouse goose

Scamommie

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 19, 2015
Hi all...merry meet. I have had our 3 Toulouse geese 7 years, 1 male 2 females. One of the females is acting strangely. She is moving around the yard with the other two, but she has a droopy left eye and her feathers are rather puffed up. The male is staying close to her but she is eating...just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone. If I remember correctly this happened to her about 3 years ago.
Thanks for your time in advance.
Peace,

Hi all...merry meet. I have had our 3 Toulouse geese 7 years, 1 male 2 females. One of the females is acting strangely. She is moving around the yard with the other two, but she has a droopy left eye and her feathers are rather puffed up. The male is staying close to her but she is eating...just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone. If I remember correctly this happened to her about 3 years ago.
Thanks for your time in advance.
Peace,
Could she have eaten something toxic? plant inanimate object? you might want to do a flush on her. She could also have an infection is a vet an option? if not then process of elimination do flush first them go from there. How's her poop looking?

you have to follow these to the T. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213 I have only used the Activated Charcoal it can be found in the antacid isle at most stores like CVS or Walmart.

Last edited:
Dear Miss Lydia,
Thank you for the link and the information. I have charcoal and will try that first thing in the morning. Yes, I do think she could have gotten hold of something. Will keep you posted.
Many thanks!
Peace,

Dear Miss Lydia,
Thank you for the link and the information. I have charcoal and will try that first thing in the morning. Yes, I do think she could have gotten hold of something. Will keep you posted.
Many thanks!
Peace,
Sure hope it helps.
fl.gif

I am also in the Western NC region. I LOVE this weather! So this morning I caught her and took a good look at her. You know how they raise their wings and ruffle their feathers in the morning. Well she did not. And she is walking very slowly. I'm going to follow her around today to check her poop, ...she's grazing but really acting funny. When I looked her over I noticed that she was really favoring her left wing, but I saw no blood or open wound. I gave her the act. char. just for safety measures. Will keep you posted. And thanks so much again!

I am also in the Western NC region. I LOVE this weather! So this morning I caught her and took a good look at her. You know how they raise their wings and ruffle their feathers in the morning. Well she did not. And she is walking very slowly. I'm going to follow her around today to check her poop, ...she's grazing but really acting funny. When I looked her over I noticed that she was really favoring her left wing, but I saw no blood or open wound. I gave her the act. char. just for safety measures. Will keep you posted. And thanks so much again!
How cool I just met another W Carolina member last week on the duck thread. I hope she will be okay. I'm glad you were able to get some AC in her let me know how she is doing and yes check that poop. How do you mean favoring her left wing, like letting it hang down ?

no....it's kinda puffed up..not laying flat down on her back. Looking at the other two, their feathers are all slicked back on their backs while hers are sort-of puffed up. I'm going to follow her around in a while. I did notice that her eye is not so droopy now....will keep you advised....thanks so much

no....it's kinda puffed up..not laying flat down on her back. Looking at the other two, their feathers are all slicked back on their backs while hers are sort-of puffed up. I'm going to follow her around in a while. I did notice that her eye is not so droopy now....will keep you advised....thanks so much
Could sh have got her wing caught by something not enough to cut it but maybe injured, and could maybe this is whats going on with the eye? Glad it's looking better, If you have Veterycin that is good for spraying the eyes. it will wash out anything that could be in there too or just plain saline wash would be good. I use ACV in my flocks buckets a couple times a week and that helps with any face irritation they may have.

you are so wonderful...I thank you and my birds thank you....I had some hunting animal get one of my chickens back in October. Never found what it was...I'm wondering if whatever it was may have gotten in with the geese. My gander, Zeus, is quite mighty and would probably been able to get rid of it...but it may have gotten hold of Athena before he was able to save her....I didn't see any blood when I looked at her wing but it did seem rather sore. I'll keep you informed. Thanks again.

you are so wonderful...I thank you and my birds thank you....I had some hunting animal get one of my chickens back in October. Never found what it was...I'm wondering if whatever it was may have gotten in with the geese. My gander, Zeus, is quite mighty and would probably been able to get rid of it...but it may have gotten hold of Athena before he was able to save her....I didn't see any blood when I looked at her wing but it did seem rather sore. I'll keep you informed. Thanks again.
Listen Zeus sounds alot like my gander Samson but I know he could not hold his own with any kind of predator that has teeth. The are mainly bluff and even a raccoon could kill one. What did you find out today is she any better?

Back
Top Bottom