Sick Turkey has a bum foot- but what is it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by poniegirle, Jan 9, 2014.

1. poniegirle

poniegirle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Hey guys! Figured I'd pick the collective BYC brain and see if anyone has thoughts on what's going on with Sick Turkey. S/he's a 15 week Chocolate turkey that was laying at the bottom of the poult pile Tuesday morning, and seemed really out of it. S/he had a few spots of dried blood on the back of the neck. I settled Sick Turkey in the corner with a pile of food and a bowl of water, and s/he was eating and drinking, so I chalked it up to a cold night and being sat on. Sick Turkey was indistinguishable from the other poults that evening (except for the dried blood).

Last night, Sick Turkey was identified by refusing to put down the right foot, and was determined to be the same Sick Turkey because of the blood spots. I see no swelling, no lesions, no wounds, but the toes are limp and just kinda there, and Sick Turkey isn't able to bear weight on that leg. Doesn't seem to be painful, but also doesn't seem to have any sensation at all- Sick Turkey doesn't withdraw the leg if I'm messing with the toes.

There's also a greenish streak running up the top of the second toe towards the shank, which is strange. Unfortunately, with no helper, I wasn't able to get pictures- hopefully, some will be forthcoming this evening.

No odd odor from the foot, good attitude, eating and drinking. Sick Turkey is now residing in my barn office, in a dog crate, but if there's something I can do to fix it, I'd like to. All the poults are on Purina Flock Raiser at this point.

Any help would be really appreciated!

2. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    I am sorry for your turkey being sick.. Hopefully some one give you specific answer to you very soon. I can't help,,but I just wanna say I feel sorry for your turkey.

<Last night, Sick Turkey was identified by refusing to put down the right foot,

Is she cold? Standing with one leg means the birds is trying keeping warm as I heard.

the blood spot of the back of her neck....

It seems like she got hurt by hitting somewhere when she tried to fly or so?

One of my chikens used to try to get out of the coop by jumping and flying, and hit the back of her neck or sometime head, so she had blood spots / puddle of blood around the injured area when I went to the coop to feed and give them some fresh water.

I am sorry that I can't help..

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  3. poniegirle

Mar 28, 2012
    I was hoping it was just a Cold Turkey thing, but this morning, in the 65 degree office, Sick Turkey still can't use the foot or move the toes, though they're not stiff- I can move them, and it's not painful or difficult. I'm not sure if the blood spots are anything important- it's mostly how I knew Tuesday's Sick Turkey and Wednesday's Sick Turkey were the same. But thanks for the thoughts!

4. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    :) I read that sick birds should be kept at the very warm temperature.. at least 80F.

I feel like she is being very cold to me.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What breed is it?

-Kathy

6. poniegirle

Mar 28, 2012
    Chocolate, about 15 weeks

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I think that's just a color, not a breed.:D Many larger breed turkeys, like BBW's and BBB have leg problems early in life, that's why I wanted to know the breed.

-Kathy

8. poniegirle

Mar 28, 2012
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Looks like they're between the size of a BB and the smaller Royal Palm. I only have five turkeys, so I'm no expert, lol. How much does it with now?

-Kathy

10. poniegirle

Mar 28, 2012
    That I'm not sure about- probably 10 pounds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by