Sick turkey!!! Help please!!

M@M@2four

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
USA
Hello...I have a Tom turkey--about 10 months who is sick. Symptoms include, swollen red eyes with crust in eye and occasional sneezing. I carry Tylan-50 and LA-200 injectable. Any idea what I should do for him and if any of those meds would work, what dose for a turkey--we weighs probably about 20-25 pounds. And for how long?? Please help!! Thanks SO much!!!

Anyone????
sad.png

I would guess I would dose him about the same or slightly less than you would a human child of the same weight..

If you are afraid that he might die, then what have you got to lose??

I have never dosed a turkey with any kind of meds.. You might try giving it a half teaspoon of cayenne pepper in about a cup of water.. take all other water away so he is forced to drink this water.
My turkeys love pepper water..chickens do too.

Is it just around the eyes? I am pretty good on turkeys.
Does it have black nots or scabs on the head or wattle?
I ask because it sounds like it might be fowl pox?
Dry and wet are the 2 different types, wet is in the throat and sinus area as well as out side, dry are just on skin.
Time and luck are the only cure if this is it.
Need a little more info first be fore I can be sure of what it is for you
Thanks and good luck
Aubrey
there is a vaccine for fowl pox by the way, but no cure, it just has to run its course

Quote:
Yes, it seems to just be on around the eyes...I'll have to try and get a pic tomorrow..barn's all shut up for the night!
wink.png
No black knots or scabs that I know of, but I do have one that has a couple white scabby patches on it's neck...it came like that...it almost looks like frost bite, but white(if that makes sense)....I'll be back with pics tomorrow! Thanks SO much!!

I as well have a sick turkey. She has no crusting but does seem to have trouble breathing, believe I've heard her 'sneeze' a couple of times, is not eating and is not active at all. I posted this morning but got no response. I also have a chicken that began sneezing 3 days ago and has been isolate. Thought it could be related. My DH is picking up Tylan 50 as we speak. Should I try this on her? On the chicken? Is there a dosage and a method of administration anyone can help with?

Back
Top Bottom