sick turkey :( HELP

Rachel's Hobby Hatchery

Songster
9 Years
Jul 16, 2010
North West Michagan
my broad breasted white turkey has been sick for about 3-4 months now, i hoped he would just "shake it off" like so many of my birds have time and time again but guss is starting to get worse. he has a runny nose that is clogged so he has to breath through his mouth (all the time). I think his head is swellen but he is my only turkey so i dont have anything to compair him to. lately he has been acting strainge, like he is stairing into space and dosnt care about anything. He is not eating normally but he is drinking (i cant tell how much), i have no way to tell if he is loosing weight (he is to heavy for me to pick him up safely). I have a feeling that it was an upper resperitory infection that turned into pnomonia. usually my gut feelings are right but i dont know how to treat/cure him. I gave him 1/2 OZ. of penicillan G yesterday (i wasnt sure about how to dose a bird, i figured a little is better than none.) should i keep giving him pen G or should i get somthing else? also, how do I figure out how much to give him?
BTW: i have a couple of chickens and ducks in the pen with him and they are all healthy, i herd 1 sneeze yesterday but not today and just 1 sneeze, could have been dirt up her nose. Also Guss' poop is normal most of the time with some small piles of muddy pudding-like poop here and there.

Have you ruled out blackhead? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackhead_disease

How
old is he? I know that with broad breasted varieties, they're bred specifically for the table and often their body's fail them before they reach a decent age, as they get too big too quick and it puts a strain on their entire body, including their immune system.

I'm afraid I can't help regarding the penicillin, so hopefully someone else will come along and be a bit more helpful on that score.

Hope he gets better x

If it is respitory give him TYLAN 50 1cc per 10lbs twice a day for about a week. he will clear up in the first couple days but treat him the full week. Good luck with youre bird

Quote:
I agree with jasonm11. Sounds like a respiratory problem.

He has been sick a long time huh? He should have been removed at first sight of this problem. Guss doesn't sound good. Can you start the meds ASAP? Do you have a pic of this sick turkey?

Good Luck.

no, i dont have a picture right now. I will try to get one later today so maybe tomorrow will be able to post it. Guss is 1 year old, i have herd of a couple (on this fourm) living 3 or more years. I will try to start him on meds tonight, depends on price. Can I get it from TSC? where is the best location to poke him? The thigh, right?

Rachel's Hobby Hatchery :

no, i dont have a picture right now. I will try to get one later today so maybe tomorrow will be able to post it. Guss is 1 year old, i have herd of a couple (on this fourm) living 3 or more years. I will try to start him on meds tonight, depends on price. Can I get it from TSC? where is the best location to poke him? The thigh, right?

No problem about the pic. I was just curious. And yes, you can get Tylan at TSC. As far as the poking, you have to be careful where you inject it because you don't any any muscle damage. I was injecting in the breast area until I read it could cause muscle damage. I switched to squirting it in my Tom's mouth. The squirting method worked for me. If you want to inject, maybe someone will come along and tell you where is the best location to inject.

I'm pulling for Guss. Good Luck.
fl.gif

TSC didnt have any tylan in stock but they had an order comming in, the guy i talked to said that he wouldnt be able to tell me if they will have it or not so i have to call back around 3:00 today... i hope they have it. the suringes that i have mesure in OZ. how do i transfur that to cc?

I tried Tylan 50 for a week - was not long enough and my turkey was not as bad as yours - I've read somwhere that 30 days will do it, right now, I am treating him the third time - one week was not enough

Rachel's Hobby Hatchery :

TSC didnt have any tylan in stock but they had an order comming in, the guy i talked to said that he wouldnt be able to tell me if they will have it or not so i have to call back around 3:00 today... i hope they have it. the suringes that i have mesure in OZ. how do i transfur that to cc?

Easy peasy = try Jeffers Pet supply - buy syringes 22 gauge x 1" leur lock - a box of 100 is about $13 - the tylan 50 is also about $13 - shipping is only $6​

I wonder if 10 consecutive days will be long enough??? I got the tylan 50 yesterday and started him on it. I gave him 4 mL, is that enough? I dont know how to calculate into cc. Also, I poked him in the breast tissue. I didnt want to feed it to him because i dont want him to spit it out or inhale it. Thanks for the advise!

Back
Top Bottom