Sick turkey - HELP

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by TarHeelBlue, Dec 21, 2011.

1. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Couldn't find one of our turkeys - then there she was sitting in the coop. She acts as if she is drunk, doesn't seem able to use one leg well - any ideas - was find yesterday. this is my first time with turkeys, so I am stumped. I brought her into the garage, now what????

2. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

What do you mean by drunk? Could it be that she is just off balance because of a leg problem? What type of turkey is she?

3. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    narraganset. I'm not sure, could be the leg. Here's another mystery. I think it is our Tom, but the knob on top of his beak (don't know the correct name for it) that usually hangs down in front of his face has shrunk. He looks like a hen. (at least that's what the hubby says. Because I know our other Tom and the hen are outside. This is really confusing for a new Turkey person. does this make any sense. I haven't had a chance to really inspect him because he was really scared. I'm letting him calm down and then will try to inspect him really well.

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    My blue slate's gobbler thing is just like that - I am wondering if he possibly sprained his leg jmping off of the roost?

5. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    I hope that's all it is. He is a beautiful bird. Looked it up - it's a snood! You learn something new everyday

6. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

When they are scared they pull their snoods in, so it looks like a little horn instead of a normal dangly snood. I hope he's okay, they're wonderful animals. Good luck getting him to calm down, keep us posted! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by