Sick Turkey help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by horsesgot6, Jan 2, 2013.

1. horsesgot6

horsesgot6 New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    I got the Tylan 50 for my turkey today i have been giving him VetRx which im not liking. how much of the Tylan 50 should i give him he is about 20 to 30 pounds. should i bring him in and cage him with heat light to keep him extra warm. this bird has turned into a 88 year old ladys pet and she loves him i want to do everything i can for him i just dont have the money for a vet. so any help will be great and thank you for your time.

Jennifer

2. horsesgot6

horsesgot6 New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    I found where it said large chickens can have 1/2 to 1 cc of the tylan 50 so would the 1cc be ok which is what im going to give tonite when i get home. im thinking the under the skin under the wing unless someone says another place would be better.

Thanks for your help,
    Jennifer

3. Norcal-Noodler

Norcal-Noodler New Egg

Dec 27, 2012
    I too have read 1/2cc for large chicken and a large chicken is about 5 lbs (plus or minus )
    I read for turkeys to go with 1cc per 10lbs sooo the same thing in the end per weight !!
    Per day

Get that turkey on a scale and get a weight if you can !
    Nemember to use a 20-22 ga needle as the stuff is thick
    Sub cutaneous or under the skin on the breast alternating locations daily seems to be the preferred location by many

Good luck
    Tobias

4. horsesgot6

horsesgot6 New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    Thank You Norcal-Noodler for your help I will get him weighed tonite. Have a great day.

Jennifer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by