Sick Turkey, I don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peeps7, Aug 21, 2010.

1. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I have a sick turkey hen, shes about 4 months old and all she is doing is laying down with her wings at her side. I don't know whats wrong with her or how to fix it [​IMG] Does anybody know what could be wrong?

2. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Nevermind, she died [​IMG] I don't know what was wrong with her and I couldn't do anything, I basically just sat outside with her until she died. [​IMG]

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry you lost your turkey. Was she thin at all? Did you notice any real yellowy poo?

4. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    I had trouble with a couple of my turkeys last year just dying. No obvious signs of disease. Just listless and a bit droopy then poof.

5. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Yes Chickenzoo, she had a little bit of yellow in her droppings, almost like yellow mucus. I raked out the straw she was laying in where the other turkey and some of my chickens stay, that way there wouldn't be any droppings of hers in there to infect the chickens and remaining turkey.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sometimes turkeys housed with chickens can be come infected by the chickens with a disease they call black head. They normally will stop eating, drink more, pick around at food but not really eat it, have a very yellow poo and sometimes their face and neck turn a darker sheen due to poor circulation.... it is curable with a product I use for fish, Fish Zole. Another problem is often Coccidia, which can be in the soil itself. So sorry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by