Sick turkey please help!!

Beauty99

Songster
May 4, 2018
i have 6 turkeys they are 3-4 month years they were all good till one day i saw one of my chicken attacted one of my turkey it was just a fight for food and it wasn’t so serious but after that day that turkey stands there doing nothing eats nothing don’t go and walk with the others sleeps in a different place from the outside he looks fine but i don’t know what’s wrong with him but i’ve noticed his poop color looks weird pic is below Please i need help is he sick or what? The temperature here is 36C and it’s hot they all live outside

Attachments

• 426772D7-8D46-42D1-BCE6-746399999EAC.jpeg
    426772D7-8D46-42D1-BCE6-746399999EAC.jpeg
    534.6 KB · Views: 6
I am no expert but I was doing research on peafowl recently and I read about some common diseases in peafowl, one of them was Black head. Blackhead can be passed to Turkeys and Peafowl if they eat a infected earthworm or are around other infected fowl. The other infected birds can pass the Black Head through the drinking water and through their poop. The main symptoms of Black Head are drooped wings, lethargic, and yellowish mustard colored poop. I think your Turkey has Black head, if it does then it will likely die unless you treat it. Heritage breeds can be somewhat resistant to Black Head, brd breasted will die. I do not remember what the treatment for Black head was and I am not sure if this is even Black Head, @casportpony told me the treatment for it before, @casportpony might also be able to give some more info on the Black Head stuff like if this is even black head.

I am no expert but I was doing research on peafowl recently and I read about some common diseases in peafowl, one of them was Black head. Blackhead can be passed to Turkeys and Peafowl if they eat a infected earthworm or are around other infected fowl. The other infected birds can pass the Black Head through the drinking water and through their poop. The main symptoms of Black Head are drooped wings, lethargic, and yellowish mustard colored poop. I think your Turkey has Black head, if it does then it will likely die unless you treat it. Heritage breeds can be somewhat resistant to Black Head, brd breasted will die. I do not remember what the treatment for Black head was and I am not sure if this is even Black Head, @casportpony told me the treatment for it before, @casportpony might also be able to give some more info on the Black Head stuff like if this is even black head.
Thanks but my turkey died but three days before he die i took him to the vet they gave me a treatment it was a powder to put it in thier water but i’ve noticed his poop turned to dark red it was like blood so after the 3 days he died but now one of my other turkey is acting the same not eating too much doing my best but i feel like the doctor didn’t know about the disease what should i do??

I'm sorry that you lost him.

Have you posted on the Turkeys forum?
What did the vet give you to treat him?

If you happen to lose another one that is sick, consider sending the body to your state lab for an official diagnosis. You can find a list of labs HERE

Back
Top Bottom