1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Turkey - runny nose, wet eye!!!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by TarHeelBlue, Dec 24, 2011.

1. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Any ideas for antibiotics?? I have him confined - he seems to "open mouth" breath sometimes, not all the time. Has wet nostrils and left eye looks watery. Still strong, but doesn't act "right" HELP - need ideas on what to get him started on.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    How is his breathing? Is chest rattling? Does his breath smell? He may have a respiratory problem. If so, he will need some Tylan.

3. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Thanks. He wont let me get really close. I'll have to pin him down and check. But he does seem to have trouble breathing at times.

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Ok, please find out. If you wait too long, it may be too late. If left untreated, he may possibly die.

5. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    I had some tylan so I went ahead and put it in his water. I hope that is it. Do you know of anyplace yo get smaller doses of that stuff ? Allison could find was a bottle that made 50 gallons. Just a bit much for one turkey and very expensive. I weighed it and measured out enough for 2 days dosing and will mix some more then. I'm not sure how long the remaining powder will keep. But it's worth it if it saves him. Thanks for the help. I had forgotten I even had that in my animal mess

6. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    I meant meds. Not mess. Oops

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Do you have a syringe (with no needle) to gently squirt the meds down his throat. I am not a fan of putting meds in the animal's water. If an animals is not drinking, then the animal won't drink the medicated water. Squirting the meds in the mouth ensures that the animal gets the med. Just my preference but it's up to you.

8. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Quote:Another option is to leave the needle on and inject the meds into a grape or something.

9. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Great idea. He is drinking, thank goodness, but that's a great idea. I usually have some syringes around (I'm a nurse) or can get one. You have been a great help. thank you so much.
    Have a Blessed Christmas!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by