sick turkey

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Amanda16, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Amanda16

Amanda16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2017
    Dewey, AZ
    I have a little turkey chick who's about three weeks old at this point, it hardly eats or drinks with out encouragement, and looks like it has dried blood in its nostrils. the little one's been separated from the rest. If birds can puke, it has. Brown liquid came out of its mouth. And I have noticed bloody poop in the brooder but i do not know who from. Most of the time the chick in question is sleeping. I tried to take some pictures of its face to use as reference to what I mean about the dried blood.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I was also wondering if there was any herbs or something that i might be able to add to their food and/or water that would help boost all of their immune systems.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would look closely for more blood or bloody mucus from the nostrils. A viral respiratory disease called ILT can cause severe respiratory distress, an upright neck from gasping, called pump handle respirations, and slinging bloody mucus from the beak. There is no treatment for ILT which may lastbseveral weeks and can be infectious. Blood in droppings can be a sign of coccidiosis, which also may cause lethargy, refusal to eat and drink, standing hunched or puffed up, and diarrhea with mucus or blood. Cocci is treated with Corid from a feed store, or sulfa antibiotics from your local vet. Vomiting dark liquid could be a crop problem, or from blood associated with ILT. It seems the turkey poult may be very sick, and since a diagnosis is not easy, you may want to take it in to your vet. If not possible, try to take in some droppings for a fecal test at least. I am not a vet, so I would consider vet care.

3. Amanda16

Mar 1, 2017
    Dewey, AZ
    may i ask what causes these things, so i know what to look for and possibly fix?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might want to Google coccidiosis in poultry to read about it. It is a common disease from the soil, and while most eventually build up a resistance to cocci, an immune compromised or young chick may be exposed to it and get sick. Keeping your bedding fresh, clean and dry help, since it thrives in wet soil. ILT is a virus spread by other infected birds. Keep in mind, that this is not a diagnosis, but something you should research on your own to determine if the symptoms you see is what is seems like. A vet can run tests on the droppings. Google ILT in poultry, and you will find more info. Keeping a dry coop with good overhead air circulation, preventing mold and dust, and getting healthy chicks can help to prevent diseases. Cocci,though is just something that everyone may deal with with chicks.

1 person likes this.
  5. Amanda16

Mar 1, 2017
    Dewey, AZ
    thank you, i will definately research them, and hope the weather is in my favor so i can take everyone out to clean everything.

6. Amanda16

Mar 1, 2017
    Dewey, AZ
    also is there any recommended method to encourage the little one to eat? i've been gently dipping it beak in its water to get it to drink, but that doesn't work for the food

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by