Sick turkey

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Meleda3, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Meleda3

Meleda3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    I have a ten week old tom turkey that is eating a drinking, but is very lethargic. He is not running around with the other turkeys. It has been hot and humid here the last few weeks. He has been eating the medicated starter since hatching. Does anyone know what could be wrong with him or what I should try to do for him?
  2. Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr.

Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr. Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    What I would do is bring him into an airconditioned room (probably in a cage so it doesnt poop all over your house) and see if a couple hours in a cool room doesnt help. Try 1 thing at a time and go from there.

My funny husband says it could just be a "lazy" turkey. lol
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    my turkeys started doing that and long story short i lost the entire flock (10 x 12 week olds)
    turned out to be cocci (even though theyd been on so called medicated feed since 1 week old)

keep an eye on his stools, if they begin turning yellow it could mean cocci or blackhead disease.

could also be something as simple as a lack of vitamins. try some electrolytes in his water, see if he perks up. in any case id quarantine him from the rest while you figure out what it is....that was the mistake i made (not quarantining straight away) and it spread like wild fire through the flock within 3 days.

has he gotten wet at all? young turkeys + getting wet or getting hot = sick poult. humid conditions are perfect for cocci to spread...
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by