Sick turkey

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by waddling4fun, Oct 5, 2013.

1. waddling4fun

waddling4fun New Egg

May 22, 2011
    I need help. Anyone familiar with turkey illnesses? I have 4, five month old turkeys; 3 toms and 1 hen. 2-3 weeks ago, one tom looked depressed and sleepy. Then his caruncles started swelling, then crusting, and now bleeding. Now the other two males have black, scarred caruncles. The hen does not look to bad. I live in McCormick, SC and there is no avian or vet that is familiar with turkeys. They are eating okay, the two healthier toms display fluffed plumage, and all walk around normally showing interest in their surroundings. One out of the four (not sure which) has soft brown stool, the rest are normal. The second pic is the worst one. The first pic is how the other two look.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Wow!!!!!!! I'm looking at the pics on my phone and they do not look good. How long have they been that way? How are the mosquitoes in your area? What does the inside of their mouth look like? Do they have a foul odor coming from their mouth? Any nasal discharges? What meds do you have on hand? Do you have any apple cider vinegar? Are these turkeys with other animals?

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Wow, they do look like they have a severe case of dry pox, but do like Kuntrygirl suggests and check for pus and odors, that's wet pox and much harder to deal with.

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  4. waddling4fun

waddling4fun New Egg

May 22, 2011
    The worst one has been 2-3 weeks. Mosquitoes are not bad. I will look and smell in their mouth tonight while they are roosting and calmer, then let you know. No actual nasal discharge, but a moist "sneeze" occasionally. I will go buy anything you suggest. They are free range, so some chickens and guineas will intermix with them. Their appetite is okay.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    The pics look like dry pox from what I can see. If it were me, I would put Duramycin in their water to prevent secondary infections. If no odor or discharge, then I wouldn't worry but do keep an eye on them. Keep me posted.

1 person likes this.
  6. waddling4fun

waddling4fun New Egg

May 22, 2011
    Okay. Just went out and tried to see in their mouth. Not very easy, but I could not see any lesions inside the mouth. There is definitely no smell from the mouth. I will get some Duramycin as preventative and just do supportive care for now. Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by