Sick two weak peachick--droopy wings, but normal poop

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by abbydj, May 25, 2016.

1. abbydj

abbydj New Egg

May 11, 2016
    Peachick had always been smaller than her/his hatch mates. Now, I notice that she has droopy wings and looks very skinny (i haven't been weighing--I wish i would have been, I know better). Is lethargic, but seems to be breathing normal. isn't interested in food. Use to cry a lot, but for the past two days has been much quieter. Can anyone help?

2. abbydj

abbydj New Egg

May 11, 2016
    Here's an enlarged picture of the poop now, which certainly looks abnormal now[​IMG]

3. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    Blackhead !

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

The excess white is probably due to dehydration. My best guess is coccidiosis, or maybe blackhead. Has it been in a brooder or on the dirt? Hatched by hen or incubator?

-Kathy

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  5. abbydj

abbydj New Egg

May 11, 2016
    Thank you for responding with your best guess! Yesterday, the poop also turned green. The peachicks were hatched in an incubator and have been in a brooder since birth.

6. abbydj

abbydj New Egg

May 11, 2016

I should also say that even though the peachicks have always been in their brooder, next to their brooder are ducklings who often take outdoor adventures. Is it possible they could have "spread" blackhead and cocci...you know how messy ducks can be?!

Because the peachick was going downhill fast (and the poop turned green), I decided to treat dang near everything. I'm treating with corid, API general care, and safeguard. After three days of Corid and two days of API, the peachick is doing much better. Now, I'm wondering what I should treat the other peachicks with who are currently showing now external signs of sickness? What would you suggest?

Also, I picked up some NatureWise Meatbird 22% crumbles. Would this be better to feed them than chick starter grower 18% crumble?

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If your peachicks have not been on the dirt, and if they aren't eating duck poop, I doubt it's blackhead.

No harm in treating all of them with Corid. As for food, what is the fat % of the meat bird?

-Kathy

8. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    What are you feeding your peafowl?
    In N.H.,Tony.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @abbydj , this person treated with Corid and their bird recovered:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by