Sick two-year-old Dominique with droopy tail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by taylorgirl6, May 7, 2011.

1. taylorgirl6

taylorgirl6 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    I've had a lot of luck in two years of raising chickens, but now Ursula, our two-year-old Dominique, is acting very ill. Her tail is drooping, she is lethargic, not the slightest bit talkative even when I pick her up, and last night I cleaned a lot of poo off her backside. She was simply covered in poop, so I put in her in the sink for a bath (no soap, just warm water), then blew her dry with a hair dryer. It reminded me of cleaning pasted up chicks. I put her back in the coop last night, and she was looking alright this morning, but she's droopy and hanging out by herself in a corner again.

I didn't take pictures of the poo, though it looked normal enough, if a little gritty. The smell was pretty normal too, though quite the abomination to bring into the kitchen. I put doses of apple cider vinegar in the girls' water regularly, and we have not yet experienced parasites or health issues. Can anyone supply ideas? Should she be quarantined? Bear in mind, she's been with her sisters this whole time, and none of them are showing any symptoms (yet). I'd also like to ensure she's getting fluids, so are there any techniques to get a sick hen to drink?

Thanks everyone!

Robin

2. tamtam84

tamtam84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    SE Missouri
    I don't have any advice for you, but I am very interested in others' replies because I also have an almost 2 year old dominique with pretty much the exact same symptoms (except not excess poo like yours). I'm very worried because I know something's off but I don't know what. Hopefully someone can help!

3. taylorgirl6

taylorgirl6 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    I'm sorry to report that Ursula has died. She had a fit of convulsions for a few minutes and then was mostly still. A small amount of fluid, including some yellow mucous, came out of her beak after she stopped thrashing, but that's all I know. My best guess is that she had an impacted crop. I tried treating her, but it was most likely too late. I really hope your birds aren't as bad off as Ursula was. Good luck.

4. wayne206

wayne206 New Egg

May 5, 2011
    I don't know if my thoughts are related to your chicks but chickens need small things to cut the food apart in their craw. Small pebbles, small pieces glass,etc. Yard chickens usually find this stuff. I suppose that's why baby chicks only get chick food (no seeds etc). I'm definity no Vet. Grew up w/ them as a kid. 40 years ago and I've just got 10 baby chicks. When I was a kid, I remember a few times when our chickens would eat a moggot from something and they couldn't breathe good and would walk around with their neck stretched out up in the air. My Dad would pour a few drops of coal-oil (kerosene) down their throat and that would kill the maggot and the chicken would be OK....Thanks and Sorry if Way_out-of-Line...I hope the chicks are ok

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I guess I'd wonder if she's got a sour crop. If there is a lot of abdominal swelling, then I'd think eggbound or internal laying. I think I'd start by examining the crop situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by