1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Sick vs. growth spurt? Fluff fall out vs. mites?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Natalierose, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Natalierose

Natalierose Chirping

Feb 9, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    I'm new at chickens and so basically I'm always convinced something is terribly wrong....

I lost one chick and I'm really afraid of losing any others.

They are mostly about a week or so old now, with the chick I'm worried about being about a week and a half ish.

They are all real active and eating and drinking- however there is a fair amount of feather cleaning/ itching/ pruning.....is this pretty typical as they are starting to feather or is this likely a sign of mites? I looked earlier but its pretty hard to tell as most my chicks are black/gray.

Also- my biggest gal (week and a half old silver laced wyandotte) has been laying down a bunch today. Eyes open, still pecking around, eating and drinking...but its like every time she walks a bit she seems exhausted and just flops down into a normal laying down pose. Is it possible shes just sore/ using extra energy from a growth spurt? She was real active and wild a day ago its just today I've noticed her inclination to lay.

I've got a bottle of Corid just in case - there was one poo today that looked a little orangy and I was worried may have been blood but nothing since. It was dried when I got home so hard to tell.....

I'm not sure if I should just run a dose to be sure? Is there different thoughts on treatment/ prevention/ wait-watch?

2. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I realize you're paranoid after losing one chick, and you're afraid of losing more. But the behavior and conditions you describe are normal for chicks at this age. Medicating them unnecessarily isn't wise.

Keep observing them, though, especially the poop. If you see more of the orange or red, then start the meds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by