sick weak americauna

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redjess1984, Sep 22, 2011.

1. redjess1984

redjess1984 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2011
    Hi all I have 12 hens in a backyard coop and recently 2 have gotten sick. The first got really weak and stopped eating and drinking so we culled it hoping whatever it was wouldn't spread. That was 1 week ago. Now another hen is sick. No respiratory involvement clear eyes no weird poop just stumbling a bit and getting really weak. Not rating or drinking. I gave them some wazine wormer mixed in their water and got vet to give her a broad spectrum antibiotic shot. Does anyone know what this might be or have any suggestions on how to save my hen? Thanks!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    What did the vet say about what was going on?

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Also check for mites- those can take a flock down as can worms. Yes, what did the vet say?

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My Mille Fleur is acting this way. She won't move much at all... I haven't noticed much poop from her either. I'm so worried. I think she's dying...

5. savannahchickmom

savannahchickmom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    Savannah, Missouri
    We do not have an aviary vet near us. My ameracauna did the same thing last spring. I isolated her & picked up some powdered antibiotic at Orscheln's. Gave her that in her water for several days, then used apple cider vinager in her water for another week. She perked right up & is my best egg layer & happy & healthy again. I noticed serious improvement within 2 days. Good luck!!!

6. redjess1984

Aug 8, 2011
    Well the vet that gave her the shot doesn't actually treat chickens she just gave the shot cause I didn't know how. No vets anywhere near me treat chickens so just trying to treat myself. I gave her some electrolyte vitamin stuff by mouth and added some diamateaous earth to her food. She seems to be doing a bit better. None of the chickens have mites. Will keep everyone updated.

7. louclare

louclare Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    my chicken was the same.I gave the flock tetracycline.

8. redjess1984

Aug 8, 2011
    @ savannahchickmom what does the Apple cider vinegar in their water do? Thanks [​IMG]

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:ACV helps in calcium absorption and lowers gut PH to help with bacterial issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by